At least 22 people have been killed in clashes with police in Port Said in Egypt.
The violence follows a decision by an Egyptian court to sentence 21 football fans to death for their part in riots last February which killed 74 people.
Another 52 fans who have been charged will find out their fate in March.
Egypt’s worst-ever football disaster happened after a game at Port Said stadium between local side al-Masry and Cairo’s al-Ahly.
Al-Masry fans invaded the pitch, throwing stones and fireworks. Spectators were trampled to death as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium.
The judge’s ruling caused anger in Port Said, where the accused men come from. Supporters clashed with police outside the prison where the men are being held, leading to the deaths of at least 22 people.
In Cairo, there were celebrations at the death sentences. Al-Ahly football fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
- 1French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Conservative coalition on course for another win in Portuguese elections
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Austerity campaign pays off as Portugal’s centre-right edges into new term
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Latest world news
Passos Coelho wins re-election in Portugal, says ready to “compromise”
Israel launches airstrikes on targets in Gaza
Typhoon Mujigae rips through Southern China
Palmyra’s sites could disappear within 3-4 months, says antiquities director
Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Indian parliamentarian charged with raping 14-year-old maid
- 13:27 CET Modi and Merkel vow trade talks and 2 billion green energy euros
- 13:14 CET Church can’t be ‘museum of memories’, pope tells synod
- 13:11 CET Polish PM candidate backs closer ties with neighbours on refugee…
- 12:58 CET Egypt’s Sisi says cabinet to remain in place if agenda approved by…
- 12:57 CET Beating parasites wins three scientists Nobel prize for medicine
- 12:33 CET Turkey’s Erdogan mocks EU migrant efforts on eve of visit
- 12:30 CET France asks for Japan’s participation in nuclear sector reshuffle