26/01/13 11:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A court in Egypt has given death sentences to 21 men found guilty of taking part in football violence last February.
In total 73 people have been accused of taking part in the violence at a Cairo derby match in which 74 people died, mostly fans of the al-Ahly club.
Families of the victims exploded with emotion in the court as the sentence was read out. The remaining 52 accused will discover their fate in March.
Spectators were trampled to death in the disaster as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium after the pitch was invaded by al-Masry fans following the final whistle.
Soccer fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
At least 14 people died in protests at the prison where the accused are being held as families attempted to break them out. The army has deployed in the vicinity.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 3Taiwan: at least 18 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
- 4World condemns North Korean satellite launch
- 5EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
North Korea launches rocket, defying international warnings
Somali passenger jet ‘holed by bomb’
Five killed in ‘massive’ avalanche in Austrian Alps
Wires > News
- 10:16 CET Australia pledges aid to help Tonga, Pacific with Zika
- 10:14 CET Travel agency in isolated Gaza recalls the ‘golden’ 1950s
- 10:11 CET Insight – In southern Africa, an illusion built on aid heralds…
- 08:16 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 07:16 CET Malaysia’s new Twitter police target critics of PM Najib
- 04:45 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 04:07 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants