A court in Egypt has given death sentences to 21 men found guilty of taking part in football violence last February.
In total 73 people have been accused of taking part in the violence at a Cairo derby match in which 74 people died, mostly fans of the al-Ahly club.
Families of the victims exploded with emotion in the court as the sentence was read out. The remaining 52 accused will discover their fate in March.
Spectators were trampled to death in the disaster as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium after the pitch was invaded by al-Masry fans following the final whistle.
Soccer fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
At least 14 people died in protests at the prison where the accused are being held as families attempted to break them out. The army has deployed in the vicinity.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Mandela memorial ‘fake’ sign language interpreter defends himself
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5North Korea calls executed Jang Song-thaek “despicable human scum worse than a dog”
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 10:57 CET Greek police investigate arson attack at former PM’s seaside house
- 10:23 CET Irish government faces post-bailout battle to woo back voters
- 10:16 CET Asian nations urge peace in sea disputes, unlikely to blame China
- 09:56 CET Sicily police arrest family of top Mafia boss
- 09:54 CET Iran frees Slovak paragliders held in spy row
- 09:27 CET Four killed in Bangladesh clashes after Islamist leader executed
- 09:00 CET Ghost of Indonesia’s Suharto gives life to his old political party
- 06:14 CET China must befriend Tibet monks to build ‘impenetrable defence‘…