26/01/13 11:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A court in Egypt has given death sentences to 21 men found guilty of taking part in football violence last February.
In total 73 people have been accused of taking part in the violence at a Cairo derby match in which 74 people died, mostly fans of the al-Ahly club.
Families of the victims exploded with emotion in the court as the sentence was read out. The remaining 52 accused will discover their fate in March.
Spectators were trampled to death in the disaster as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium after the pitch was invaded by al-Masry fans following the final whistle.
Soccer fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
At least 14 people died in protests at the prison where the accused are being held as families attempted to break them out. The army has deployed in the vicinity.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
Taiwan: at least 8 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
US primaries: Trump leading Republican pack, Sanders gaining on Clinton
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Wires > News
- 16:10 CET Up to five killed in Austrian avalanche – police
- 16:05 CET Sri Lankan nationalists protest U.N. rights chief’s visit on war…
- 15:40 CET Suicide bomber kills nine, injures dozens, in Pakistan city of…
- 15:02 CET British member of Vatican sexual abuse commission leaves
- 14:24 CET Syria says any foreign aggressors will go home ‘in coffins’
- 14:12 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 13:18 CET Australia to step up Zika testing as two new cases reported
- 12:30 CET Nigerians have image problem abroad, hampers emigration to West -…