A court in Egypt has given death sentences to 21 men found guilty of taking part in football violence last February.
In total 73 people have been accused of taking part in the violence at a Cairo derby match in which 74 people died, mostly fans of the al-Ahly club.
Families of the victims exploded with emotion in the court as the sentence was read out. The remaining 52 accused will discover their fate in March.
Spectators were trampled to death in the disaster as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium after the pitch was invaded by al-Masry fans following the final whistle.
Soccer fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
At least 14 people died in protests at the prison where the accused are being held as families attempted to break them out. The army has deployed in the vicinity.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:54 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,100, some in Everest avalanche
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession
- 17:56 CET Ghana can continue production in Ivory Coast oil dispute – tribunal
- 17:38 CET Indonesia informs death row convicts execution just days away
- 17:33 CET Exclusive – Brother says accused Tunisian was forced to captain…
- 16:49 CET Dutch detain three in French-led horsemeat investigation