26/01/13 11:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A court in Egypt has given death sentences to 21 men found guilty of taking part in football violence last February.
In total 73 people have been accused of taking part in the violence at a Cairo derby match in which 74 people died, mostly fans of the al-Ahly club.
Families of the victims exploded with emotion in the court as the sentence was read out. The remaining 52 accused will discover their fate in March.
Spectators were trampled to death in the disaster as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium after the pitch was invaded by al-Masry fans following the final whistle.
Soccer fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
At least 14 people died in protests at the prison where the accused are being held as families attempted to break them out. The army has deployed in the vicinity.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 4World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 5North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 15:43 CET Ripple effect – scientists await word on gravitational waves
- 15:18 CET German government ends row over tighter asylum rules
- 15:02 CET Austria reports rise in conscripts volunteering for border duty
- 14:44 CET Insight – Back to its roots: how Zika may threaten Africa
- 14:33 CET NATO launches sea mission against people-smugglers
- 14:14 CET Prison riot in northeast Mexico kills dozens – media reports
- 13:56 CET Greeks at frontline of migrant crisis angry at Europe’s criticism
- 13:39 CET U.S. tells allies campaign to defeat Islamic State must be…