“Welcome to a better world”. This is how Chile’s president welcomed the EU delegates to the first joint summit with CELAC, as protesters clashed with police in the streets of Santiago and declared an alternative “people’s summit”, calling for free education and environmental protection.
Sixty nations are involved in the meeting; all the Caribbean and American nations, bar America and Canada, and it is the Europeans, especially former colonial master Spain, who are keen to see investment come their way.
After years of buying up latin and south American assets Europeans are now hoping money will start to flow in the opposite direction as the region has resisted the economic crisis and is posting healthy growth rates, unlike Europe.
CELAC was set up in December 2011, largely on President Hugo Chavez’s initiative, to ensure South America could at last speak with one voice on equal terms with its economic partners.
The rotating presidency is now Cuba’s, and President Raul Castro arrived to drive forward the meeting, which aims to produce a joint statement on Sunday.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq