QR or Quick Response codes are being embedded into pavements on Ipanema beach and all over Rio de Janeiro.
Craftsmen are using the same types of black and white stones that already decorate many streets to create the mosaic bar codes.
They can be scanned with a mobile device to reveal more information about Brazil’s second largest city.
Specialist stone craftsmen were picked, with extensive experience creating pavements out of mosaic materials.
Gediao Jorge was one of them: “It was a challenge. I’ve built Portuguese pavements like these for 27 years now, but this was the biggest challenge of my career.”
Officials plan to install 30 paved QR codes to allow Rio’s two million annual tourists to be better informed about what the city has to offer.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
US: Zion Harvey ‘youngest person’ to receive double hand transplant
Turkey pounds PKK positions in ‘anti-terror’ operation
More police for Calais as UK and France pledge to tackle wider migrant crisis
Amnesty International claims Israeli military committed war crimes during Gaza conflict
“Arrivo Berlin” – a project in Berlin training migrants to prepare for work
Wires > News
- 19:52 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 19:42 CET Buhari in Cameroon seeks closer partnership against Boko Haram
- 19:29 CET Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 18:57 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 18:45 CET Syrian army says Israeli planes strike pro-Syrian Palestinian…
- 18:33 CET India set to become world’s most populous country by 2022 – U.N.
- 18:29 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 17:47 CET U.S. approves possible sale of $5.4 billion in missiles to Saudi…