Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of Azerbaijan’s capital in solidarity with recent protests which were crushed in a town in the north.
Police arrested about 40 activists in central Baku who were calling for the resignation of President Aliyev. The president succeeded his father in 2003 and has been criticised for tolerating little dissent in the oil-producing former Soviet republic.
Demonstrators say they want an end to unemployment, poverty and the atmosphere of fear in the region.
The protest was triggered by unrest in Ismailli on Thursday, where police used teargas and water cannons on people who wanted the resignation of a regional leader.
On Thursday, the Council of Europe passed a resolution on Azerbaijan’s human rights record, calling
on the government to undertake reforms.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 08:13 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 06:18 CET Republicans begin pivotal debate week with New Hampshire forum
- 04:05 CET Mexico City prosecutor confirms killing of news photographer
- 03:17 CET U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda
- 00:46 CET Nigeria’s army says rescued 178 captives of Boko Haram
- 22:44 CET Rouhani says nuclear deal a ‘third way’ for Iranian foreign policy
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette