Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of Azerbaijan’s capital in solidarity with recent protests which were crushed in a town in the north.
Police arrested about 40 activists in central Baku who were calling for the resignation of President Aliyev. The president succeeded his father in 2003 and has been criticised for tolerating little dissent in the oil-producing former Soviet republic.
Demonstrators say they want an end to unemployment, poverty and the atmosphere of fear in the region.
The protest was triggered by unrest in Ismailli on Thursday, where police used teargas and water cannons on people who wanted the resignation of a regional leader.
On Thursday, the Council of Europe passed a resolution on Azerbaijan’s human rights record, calling
on the government to undertake reforms.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up
- 20:15 CET UKIP, 5-Star welcome Polish radical to save EU voting bloc
- 19:59 CET Saudi inmate to stay at Guantanamo, another cleared for transfer
- 19:10 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks