Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of Azerbaijan’s capital in solidarity with recent protests which were crushed in a town in the north.
Police arrested about 40 activists in central Baku who were calling for the resignation of President Aliyev. The president succeeded his father in 2003 and has been criticised for tolerating little dissent in the oil-producing former Soviet republic.
Demonstrators say they want an end to unemployment, poverty and the atmosphere of fear in the region.
The protest was triggered by unrest in Ismailli on Thursday, where police used teargas and water cannons on people who wanted the resignation of a regional leader.
On Thursday, the Council of Europe passed a resolution on Azerbaijan’s human rights record, calling
on the government to undertake reforms.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 5Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State
- 01:23 CET U.S. House seen passing North Korea sanctions bill Friday
- 01:04 CET Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock
- 00:01 CET Taiwan city looks at developer’s other buildings after quake…
- 23:44 CET South Korea cuts off power, water into Kaesong zone in North Korea
- 23:33 CET Uncertainty at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 23:20 CET U.S. blacklists prominent Islamic State preacher, two others
- 22:37 CET Einstein’s gravitational waves detected in landmark discovery