The story, which broke on January 24, puts an end to the rumour mill and the speculation in specialised magazines and on the Internet. The naming of a director was highly anticipated by Star Wars fans all over the galaxy ever since the news that Disney had bought the franchise and promised new episodes, starting from 2015.
The announcement also comes as a surprise, since Abrams, when approached for the job last November, had declined it.
The information has yet to be confirmed by Disney and George Lucas’ Lucasfilm. Prior to the announcement Ben Affleck, basking in the afterglow of Argo’s success, was many a bookmakers’ favourite to take on the job.
Abrams is in no way a new comer when it comes to the science fiction genre. He directed a reboot of Star Trek, the “other” galactic franchise, in 2009 and a new episode is planned to hit the silver screen in May 2013. He also has previously been involved as a writer, producer or director on blockbusters such as Cloverfield (2008) and Super 8 (2011) and successful TV series such as Alias, Fringe and Lost.
He will join writer Michael Arndt (winner of an Academy Award for best scenario in 2006 for Little Miss Sunshine) on the set of the 7th episode of the Star Wars saga.
Abrams had declared last November that “Star Wars is one of [his] favorite movies of all time,” and, if fans lampooned his 2009 Star Trek for excessive use of lens flare, with this new gig, Abrams is set to win an eternal spot in the geekdom firmament.
May the Force be with him.
photo credit FlickR/jdhancock
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 05:05 CET Kerry says to discuss South China Sea tensions with China’s Wang
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…
- 03:57 CET Australia says initial MH370 debris drift models gave wrong clues
- 02:22 CET Chile’s lawmakers take key step toward decriminalising abortion
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency