The story, which broke on January 24, puts an end to the rumour mill and the speculation in specialised magazines and on the Internet. The naming of a director was highly anticipated by Star Wars fans all over the galaxy ever since the news that Disney had bought the franchise and promised new episodes, starting from 2015.
The announcement also comes as a surprise, since Abrams, when approached for the job last November, had declined it.
The information has yet to be confirmed by Disney and George Lucas’ Lucasfilm. Prior to the announcement Ben Affleck, basking in the afterglow of Argo’s success, was many a bookmakers’ favourite to take on the job.
Abrams is in no way a new comer when it comes to the science fiction genre. He directed a reboot of Star Trek, the “other” galactic franchise, in 2009 and a new episode is planned to hit the silver screen in May 2013. He also has previously been involved as a writer, producer or director on blockbusters such as Cloverfield (2008) and Super 8 (2011) and successful TV series such as Alias, Fringe and Lost.
He will join writer Michael Arndt (winner of an Academy Award for best scenario in 2006 for Little Miss Sunshine) on the set of the 7th episode of the Star Wars saga.
Abrams had declared last November that “Star Wars is one of [his] favorite movies of all time,” and, if fans lampooned his 2009 Star Trek for excessive use of lens flare, with this new gig, Abrams is set to win an eternal spot in the geekdom firmament.
May the Force be with him.
photo credit FlickR/jdhancock
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 14Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Latest world news
Deadly Ankara blasts highly likely to be suicide bombings, says Turkish PM
Pride over Nobel Peace Prize win after turbulent year in Tunisia
Dutch police arrest 11 following refugee-shelter attack
Australia: anti-mosque protest draws hundreds to rural Bendigo
Spain arrests 89 suspected people-smugglers
Wires > News
- 16:14 CET Germany, EU deny report on European solidarity tax
- 16:10 CET Turkish editor jailed pending trial for insulting Erdogan – media
- 15:40 CET Twin bombs kill 86 at pro-Kurdish rally in Turkish capital
- 15:30 CET Protesters attack party offices in Iraq’s Kurdistan region
- 14:41 CET Russia backs bigger OSCE mission in Ukraine
- 13:55 CET Sudan’s Bashir urges rebels to resume talks, only one notable…
- 12:05 CET Nobel laureate chemist Richard Heck, 84, dies in Manila
- 11:51 CET Spain arrests 89 accused of running people-smuggling ring