The story, which broke on January 24, puts an end to the rumour mill and the speculation in specialised magazines and on the Internet. The naming of a director was highly anticipated by Star Wars fans all over the galaxy ever since the news that Disney had bought the franchise and promised new episodes, starting from 2015.
The announcement also comes as a surprise, since Abrams, when approached for the job last November, had declined it.
The information has yet to be confirmed by Disney and George Lucas’ Lucasfilm. Prior to the announcement Ben Affleck, basking in the afterglow of Argo’s success, was many a bookmakers’ favourite to take on the job.
Abrams is in no way a new comer when it comes to the science fiction genre. He directed a reboot of Star Trek, the “other” galactic franchise, in 2009 and a new episode is planned to hit the silver screen in May 2013. He also has previously been involved as a writer, producer or director on blockbusters such as Cloverfield (2008) and Super 8 (2011) and successful TV series such as Alias, Fringe and Lost.
He will join writer Michael Arndt (winner of an Academy Award for best scenario in 2006 for Little Miss Sunshine) on the set of the 7th episode of the Star Wars saga.
Abrams had declared last November that “Star Wars is one of [his] favorite movies of all time,” and, if fans lampooned his 2009 Star Trek for excessive use of lens flare, with this new gig, Abrams is set to win an eternal spot in the geekdom firmament.
May the Force be with him.
photo credit FlickR/jdhancock
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:01 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 10:54 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a ‘myth’
- 08:57 CET UN investigation finds corruption in Afghan police oversight…
- 03:00 CET Mexico confirms capture of Gulf Cartel leader
- 02:23 CET Thousands in Germany protest against Europe-U.S. trade deal
- 22:27 CET Greece wants EU/IMF deal but impasse could bring referendum -…
- 20:12 CET Islamist group claims attack on U.N. peacekeepers in Mali
- 18:17 CET French customs seize record 2.25 tonnes of cocaine off Martinique