Thousands of people have gathered in Tahrir square in Cairo on the second anniversary of the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak. They are angry because they believe that the revolution they fought for has not delivered.
Opponents of Mohammed Mursi, the elected Islamist president, say he is trampling
on the new democracy.
Egyptian film director, Khaled Yousseff is one of those calling for change: “Today is a continuation of the revolution’s demands represented in the fact that the people will not rest until these demands are complete,” he said, “at the forefront of which is the ousting of the current regime which does not represent the goals or spirit of the revolution.”
Riot police fired teargas at protesters trying to cross barricades around the presidential palace.
In Alexandria more protestors were hurt in clashes with police.
At least 61 civilians and 32 riot police have been reported injured across the country.
Critics say Egypt’s new constitution gives the president too much power and does little to protect human rights.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 15:03 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan