Up to 15,000 crocodiles made their bid for freedom when floods washed them into one of southern Africa’s biggest rivers, the Limpopo, in northern South Africa near the Botswana border.
They were being bred at a farm which sells crocodile skin to the fashion industry.
Owners opened the gates, fearing flood water would crush the reptiles. Instead the creatures were able to make their escape.
Many of the crocodiles have been recaptured, but more than half are still on the loose.
One made it as far as a school rugby field 120 kilometres away.
Heavy rains and flooding have claimed at least 20 lives in South Africa and neighbouring Mozambique and led to thousands being evacuated from their homes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:05 CET Protesters march against Renzi labour reforms in Rome
- 13:02 CET Greece’s anti-bailout party leads conservatives in latest poll
- 12:56 CET Iran hangs woman convicted of killing alleged rapist
- 11:50 CET Reforms bringing results, Cyprus says after ratings upgrade
- 10:26 CET Modi takes tea, but no questions, in first press event as PM
- 07:48 CET South Koreans trying to launch anti-North leaflets clash with…
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…