The Syrian army has intensified its offensive on Sunni strongholds and opposition forces are fighting fire with fire.
Amateur footage posted online shows violent clashes in and around the central city of Homs, with activists reporting aerial bombing and artillery fire.
They also say that 15,000 Sunni civilians are trapped in the outskirts, after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces attempted to close off the city.
Another video uploaded to the Internet purports to show Syrian army tanks being blown up on the streets of Daraya, south west of the capital Damascus.
Thousands of people are fleeing the battle-torn country every day.
The United Nations says the number of Syrian refugees registered in neighbouring countries is nearly 700,000, with the actual number much higher.
The UN has commended Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon for keeing their borders open and urged them to continue.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
NATO backs Turkey in its fight against militants in Syria and Iraq
Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
Wires > News
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy
- 07:41 CET Bahrain identifies suspects in Tuesday’s bombings – report
- 07:35 CET Amari says Japan, U.S. need more bilateral trade talks
- 06:54 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State