The Syrian army has intensified its offensive on Sunni strongholds and opposition forces are fighting fire with fire.
Amateur footage posted online shows violent clashes in and around the central city of Homs, with activists reporting aerial bombing and artillery fire.
They also say that 15,000 Sunni civilians are trapped in the outskirts, after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces attempted to close off the city.
Another video uploaded to the Internet purports to show Syrian army tanks being blown up on the streets of Daraya, south west of the capital Damascus.
Thousands of people are fleeing the battle-torn country every day.
The United Nations says the number of Syrian refugees registered in neighbouring countries is nearly 700,000, with the actual number much higher.
The UN has commended Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon for keeing their borders open and urged them to continue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 14Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:04 CET Iran nuclear talks may be extended as U.S. sees ‘big gaps’
- 21:41 CET West not expected to demand Iran atom bomb ‘mea culpa’ in deal
- 21:16 CET Demonstrators clash with French police over protester death
- 21:05 CET U.S. plans to arm Iraq’s Sunni tribesmen with AK-47s, RPGs, mortars
- 20:58 CET Obama approves fresh guidelines for U.S. military in Afghanistan
- 19:04 CET Danish man shot and wounded in Saudi capital
- 18:50 CET U.S. pledges $135 million in additional Syria aid after …
- 17:09 CET U.S. releases Guantanamo prisoner to Saudi Arabia