The Syrian army has intensified its offensive on Sunni strongholds and opposition forces are fighting fire with fire.
Amateur footage posted online shows violent clashes in and around the central city of Homs, with activists reporting aerial bombing and artillery fire.
They also say that 15,000 Sunni civilians are trapped in the outskirts, after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces attempted to close off the city.
Another video uploaded to the Internet purports to show Syrian army tanks being blown up on the streets of Daraya, south west of the capital Damascus.
Thousands of people are fleeing the battle-torn country every day.
The United Nations says the number of Syrian refugees registered in neighbouring countries is nearly 700,000, with the actual number much higher.
The UN has commended Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon for keeing their borders open and urged them to continue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 3Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 4[Live] Ukraine: Lavrov and Kerry to announce results of Geneva peace talks
- 5Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Iraqi Kurds entrench political faultline with Syria border ditch
- 17:11 CET Saudi activist sentenced to 15 years in jail for protests: lawyer
- 16:52 CET Burundi orders U.N. security adviser out after violence warning
- 16:49 CET Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in
- 16:33 CET Exclusive – Syria submits more ‘detailed’ list of chemical weapons
- 16:24 CET Tunisian diplomat kidnapped in Libyan capital
- 16:05 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 15:56 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA