The Syrian army has intensified its offensive on Sunni strongholds and opposition forces are fighting fire with fire.
Amateur footage posted online shows violent clashes in and around the central city of Homs, with activists reporting aerial bombing and artillery fire.
They also say that 15,000 Sunni civilians are trapped in the outskirts, after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces attempted to close off the city.
Another video uploaded to the Internet purports to show Syrian army tanks being blown up on the streets of Daraya, south west of the capital Damascus.
Thousands of people are fleeing the battle-torn country every day.
The United Nations says the number of Syrian refugees registered in neighbouring countries is nearly 700,000, with the actual number much higher.
The UN has commended Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon for keeing their borders open and urged them to continue.
Latest world news
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Brexit campaign is told to focus on immigration
Iran votes in second round of parliamentary elections
Syria: Aleppo hit again as death toll from earlier hospital attack ‘rises to 50’
Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Aviation industry seeks EU intervention in Britain-Spain row over…
- 19:19 CET U.N. chief open to helping in Iran-U.S. dispute over assets
- 19:14 CET Argentine unions flex muscle in anti-government street protest
- 18:56 CET Strike on Afghan hospital last year not a war crime – U.S. military
- 18:50 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 18:42 CET McDonald’s probes copycat burger joint in separatist east Ukraine
- 18:17 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 18:06 CET U.N. demands restoration of Western Sahara mission