The Syrian army has intensified its offensive on Sunni strongholds and opposition forces are fighting fire with fire.
Amateur footage posted online shows violent clashes in and around the central city of Homs, with activists reporting aerial bombing and artillery fire.
They also say that 15,000 Sunni civilians are trapped in the outskirts, after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces attempted to close off the city.
Another video uploaded to the Internet purports to show Syrian army tanks being blown up on the streets of Daraya, south west of the capital Damascus.
Thousands of people are fleeing the battle-torn country every day.
The United Nations says the number of Syrian refugees registered in neighbouring countries is nearly 700,000, with the actual number much higher.
The UN has commended Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon for keeing their borders open and urged them to continue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 17:26 CET Ugandan court overturns anti-gay law that halted Western aid
- 17:19 CET Jailed Indian tycoon gets office to negotiate hotel sales
- 15:29 CET Somali lawmaker killed in Mogadishu, fifth since April
- 15:13 CET Myanmar military releases 91 child soldiers
- 14:52 CET India’s Congress slams book challenging party chief Sonia Gandhi
- 14:49 CET Exclusive: China’s Xi likely to promote army general who exposed…
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid