Ukraine has signed a major gas exploitation deal worth a potential 7.5 billion euros with the Dutch energy giant Shell in a move away from dependence on Russian fuel.
They signed on the dotted-line for the 50 year production-sharing agreement on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos.
It is Europe’s biggest shale gas contract yet, and the biggest foreign investment in the former soviet republic.
Ukraine’s energy minister Eduard Stavytskyi told euronews: “I am sure that this is a very important step towards the energy independence of our state. That’s why we are developing relationships with European partners. Right now that’s Royal Dutch Shell.”
Not everyone is happy though. Opponents have repeated concerns about the so-called fracking techniques that extract the gas.
MP Andriy Mkhnyk from the opposition Svoboda party said: “We need a transparent scheme of gas extraction, we need to understand what the risks are and who will pay if it impacts adversely on the environment. Who would clean up, or would the Ukrainian people be left again to deal with all these problems alone?”
Full gas production depends on successful results from 15 test wells. Even then, it will still be some years before the gas starts flowing fully.
Disputes between Kiev and Moscow have disrupted supplies of Russian gas in the past. In 2006 and 2009 Russia shut the taps, leaving many EU customers without fuel in the depths of winter.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 2Mexico says 43 missing students were definitely murdered
- 3Russia is accused of ‘financing illegal armed groups’ – Council of Europe
- 4A very academic cabinet, Tsipras government sworn-in
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:59 CET U.S., Colombia arrest 17 accused of shipping cocaine from Venezuela
- 22:35 CET Man wielding pistol arrested at Dutch national broadcaster
- 22:34 CET African Union backs plan for regional task force to fight Boko…
- 22:21 CET Argentine investigator into Jewish centre bombing buried
- 22:17 CET France’s Le Pen would lead first round of 2017 presidential vote -…
- 21:46 CET Saudi king orders payout to state employees, reshuffles cabinet
- 21:45 CET Palestinian political stalemate is stalling Gaza rebuilding – …
- 21:36 CET Delhi Uber passenger who alleges driver rape sues in U.S. court