Close to Russia’s parliament – the Duma – a gay and lesbian “kissing protest” has been held as the controversial issue of gay rights in Russia is thrust into the spotlight.
Activists are fighting a proposal by the ruling United Russia party for the Duma to ban gay propaganda among minors.
But the vague wording is causing concern that gays could be fined for demonstrating or even holding hands in public.
Homophobic attacks are becoming more frequent and even tolerated in some places. Anti-gay bills are also sometimes hijacked by politicians for career promotion.
Gay rights campaigner Igor Yasin told euronews: “Recently, because of this obscure anti-gay propaganda imposed by the government, the level of violence and attacks on gays and lesbians has gone up. Sometimes people are even killed, but nobody speaks of that; those crimes are not investigated.”
Three months ago a gay club in Moscow was attacked by a group using mace and beating people up.
A poll last year showed most Russians find homosexuality “morally and socially unacceptable”.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1“Positive signs” Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 2euronews sees damage first-hand in government-held city under rebel fire in Luhansk
- 3At least 27 dead in militant attacks in Egypt’s North Sinai province
- 4Israel blames Iran for deadly clash on Lebanese border
- 5What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 1Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 2Mexico says 43 missing students were definitely murdered
- 3Russia is accused of ‘financing illegal armed groups’ – Council of Europe
- 4A very academic cabinet, Tsipras government sworn-in
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:33 CET Islamic State’s Egypt wing claims deadliest attacks in months -…
- 23:47 CET Man wielding pistol arrested at Dutch national broadcaster
- 22:59 CET U.S., Colombia arrest 17 accused of shipping cocaine from Venezuela
- 22:34 CET African Union backs plan for regional task force to fight Boko…
- 22:21 CET Argentine investigator into Jewish centre bombing buried
- 22:17 CET France’s Le Pen would lead first round of 2017 presidential vote -…
- 21:46 CET Saudi king orders payout to state employees, reshuffles cabinet
- 21:36 CET Delhi Uber passenger who alleges driver rape sues in U.S. court