Close to Russia’s parliament – the Duma – a gay and lesbian “kissing protest” has been held as the controversial issue of gay rights in Russia is thrust into the spotlight.
Activists are fighting a proposal by the ruling United Russia party for the Duma to ban gay propaganda among minors.
But the vague wording is causing concern that gays could be fined for demonstrating or even holding hands in public.
Homophobic attacks are becoming more frequent and even tolerated in some places. Anti-gay bills are also sometimes hijacked by politicians for career promotion.
Gay rights campaigner Igor Yasin told euronews: “Recently, because of this obscure anti-gay propaganda imposed by the government, the level of violence and attacks on gays and lesbians has gone up. Sometimes people are even killed, but nobody speaks of that; those crimes are not investigated.”
Three months ago a gay club in Moscow was attacked by a group using mace and beating people up.
A poll last year showed most Russians find homosexuality “morally and socially unacceptable”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 4Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 5US steps up pressure on Hungary over corruption
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:40 CET Japan prosecutors set to rule on possible Fukushima indictments
- 07:26 CET Russian prosecutors detain four more suspects in Total CEO plane…
- 07:11 CET China’s Guangdong to ban officials with overseas kin from top jobs
- 06:29 CET Mexican security forces capture wife of top drug lord
- 05:19 CET Costa Rica intervenes to stop strike at port, arrests 68
- 04:30 CET Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- 03:53 CET Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada’s capital
- 02:00 CET Palestinian driver rams Jerusalem station killing baby