German MEP Martin Schulz has downplayed chances of a deal at the next EU budget talks.
He said MEPs would not hesitate to use recently acquired powers to block spending plans for the next seven years.
Schulz said parliamentarians would not back calls from EU leaders for deep cuts.
“I hope there is an agreement, because it allows us to plan more reliably. But the compromise must be, if it is found, acceptable for us as a parliament,” he told journalists in Brussels.
“I do have the impression that positions among member states are far apart and – what I hear -compromise lines are still very far from what we want in the Parliament.”
EU leaders failed to reach a deal at the last talks in November.
British Prime Minister David Cameron wanted a real-terms freeze in the budget, including cuts to the Common Agricultural Policy.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed