German MEP Martin Schulz has downplayed chances of a deal at the next EU budget talks.
He said MEPs would not hesitate to use recently acquired powers to block spending plans for the next seven years.
Schulz said parliamentarians would not back calls from EU leaders for deep cuts.
“I hope there is an agreement, because it allows us to plan more reliably. But the compromise must be, if it is found, acceptable for us as a parliament,” he told journalists in Brussels.
“I do have the impression that positions among member states are far apart and – what I hear -compromise lines are still very far from what we want in the Parliament.”
EU leaders failed to reach a deal at the last talks in November.
British Prime Minister David Cameron wanted a real-terms freeze in the budget, including cuts to the Common Agricultural Policy.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Denis Mukwege: Sakharov Prize winner and champion of human rights
- 2European Parliament rejects bid to sack Juncker Commission
- 3Europe’s sex slave shame: is enough being done to fight human trafficking?
- 4EU recommends ‘unbundling Google’
- 5What did MEPs make of Pope Francis’ speech in the European Parliament?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass