German MEP Martin Schulz has downplayed chances of a deal at the next EU budget talks.
He said MEPs would not hesitate to use recently acquired powers to block spending plans for the next seven years.
Schulz said parliamentarians would not back calls from EU leaders for deep cuts.
“I hope there is an agreement, because it allows us to plan more reliably. But the compromise must be, if it is found, acceptable for us as a parliament,” he told journalists in Brussels.
“I do have the impression that positions among member states are far apart and – what I hear -compromise lines are still very far from what we want in the Parliament.”
EU leaders failed to reach a deal at the last talks in November.
British Prime Minister David Cameron wanted a real-terms freeze in the budget, including cuts to the Common Agricultural Policy.
- 1Europe’s open border dilemma; is Schengen a success?
- 2Why you should not pay more for goods in other EU countries
- 3“Frustration, mistrust and disappointment” – Turkey’s strained ties with Europe
- 4MEPs set out position on EU-US trade deal
- 5UK’s Cameron embarks on diplomatic tour to push for EU reform
- 1EU calls for 40,000 asylum seekers from Italy, Greece to be relocated
- 2Poroshenko has ‘full evidence’ of Russia’s presence in Ukraine
- 3EU warns eastern neighbours of long road to closer ties
- 4Europe Weekly: EU backs migrant mission to its south, looks east
- 5Europe’s open border dilemma; is Schengen a success?
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent