German MEP Martin Schulz has downplayed chances of a deal at the next EU budget talks.
He said MEPs would not hesitate to use recently acquired powers to block spending plans for the next seven years.
Schulz said parliamentarians would not back calls from EU leaders for deep cuts.
“I hope there is an agreement, because it allows us to plan more reliably. But the compromise must be, if it is found, acceptable for us as a parliament,” he told journalists in Brussels.
“I do have the impression that positions among member states are far apart and – what I hear -compromise lines are still very far from what we want in the Parliament.”
EU leaders failed to reach a deal at the last talks in November.
British Prime Minister David Cameron wanted a real-terms freeze in the budget, including cuts to the Common Agricultural Policy.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 12Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 13Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 14Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 15Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 16Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy