As French troops and reinforcements deploy in Mali, rumours about abuses committed by the country’s own army have cast a cloud over operations, France 2 reported.
Russian television reported that it too found evidence of searches carried out to excess. RTR also looked into defections of Islamist fighters.
A lot of countries have taken their own nationals out of Mali, but some refuse to go, such as a Swiss quarryman who has been in Mali for many years, Swiss television RSI reported.
In the relative calm of Bamako, the Thursday evening football match between Mali and Ghana stopped people talking about the war for a while, Spanish television TVE reported.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
A daring seven kilometre swim across the hazardous Aegean Sea by one Syrian migrant.
Action by European states to welcome refugees from Syria and Iraq
The Chernobyl disaster of 30 years ago remembered across Europe
Music and maths to show solidarity with refugees who arrive in Europe
Panama Papers lessons
Wires > News
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees