US Secretary of State Nominee John Kerry has promised to keep up the pressure over Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
The former Massachusetts Senator is US President Barack Obama’s choice to replace Hillary Clinton.
Kerry told a Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday that he would be “totally” committed to enforcing US sanctions against Tehran.
Some analysts expect him to take a much tougher stance once in office, which could involve military action.
“In the next four years, President Obama and Secretary Kerry will have to decide: ‘do we strike Iran or not?’ It’s hard to imagine four more years of this slow motion path towards an Iranian nuclear weapon without Iran actually getting the weapon. So I think this next four years is decision time,” said Michael O’Hanlon, a Senior Fellow from the Brookings Institution.
Kerry also hit out at the ongoing political fray in Washington over America’s finances. He warned Congress that the US needed to fix its economy to maintain its role as a world leader.
“My plea is that we can summon across party lines an economic patriotism which recognises that American strength and prospects abroad depend on American strength and results at home.”
Senators are due to vote on Kerry’s nomination next week. Most think his confirmation will sail through.
Reporting for euronews in Washington, Stefan Grobe said: “There is no doubt that John Kerry is going to be confirmed as the next US secretary of state. He will take over at a time when people around the world are looking to America for leadership. Today he made clear that he is ready to do the job.”
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Pakistan militants deny 30 killed in renewed Khyber fighting
- 15:17 CET At least eight killed by gunmen in northeast Nigeria – …
- 14:51 CET Bangladesh central bank governor says banks to be investigated for…
- 13:15 CET Three more Kenyan ministers vacate office to allow graft probe
- 13:01 CET Four Iraqi soldiers killed fighting with Islamic State in Tikrit
- 12:55 CET Somalia hotel siege ends, 14 dead – government
- 12:34 CET Netherlands seeks to join Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- 12:06 CET German eurosceptic leader says infighting won’t rip party apart