25/01/13 07:23 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
US Secretary of State Nominee John Kerry has promised to keep up the pressure over Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
The former Massachusetts Senator is US President Barack Obama’s choice to replace Hillary Clinton.
Kerry told a Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday that he would be “totally” committed to enforcing US sanctions against Tehran.
Some analysts expect him to take a much tougher stance once in office, which could involve military action.
“In the next four years, President Obama and Secretary Kerry will have to decide: ‘do we strike Iran or not?’ It’s hard to imagine four more years of this slow motion path towards an Iranian nuclear weapon without Iran actually getting the weapon. So I think this next four years is decision time,” said Michael O’Hanlon, a Senior Fellow from the Brookings Institution.
Kerry also hit out at the ongoing political fray in Washington over America’s finances. He warned Congress that the US needed to fix its economy to maintain its role as a world leader.
“My plea is that we can summon across party lines an economic patriotism which recognises that American strength and prospects abroad depend on American strength and results at home.”
Senators are due to vote on Kerry’s nomination next week. Most think his confirmation will sail through.
Reporting for euronews in Washington, Stefan Grobe said: “There is no doubt that John Kerry is going to be confirmed as the next US secretary of state. He will take over at a time when people around the world are looking to America for leadership. Today he made clear that he is ready to do the job.”
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Wires > News
- 18:26 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 18:10 CET Belgium lowers security alert level in Brussels
- 18:08 CET Britain building consensus for military action in Syria – Hammond
- 17:54 CET German police arrest two in Berlin suspected of planning attack
- 17:26 CET Stranded migrants try to storm into Macedonia, tear down fence
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque