France has carried out air strikes on Asongo in Mali, just 80 kilmometres south of the Islamist stronghold of Gao.
The French military has released footage from the Malian skies, purportedly showing rebel vehicles being hit from the air.
France intervened in Mali two weeks ago, to push back an Islamic insurgency threatening its former colony.
The capital Bamako has been secured, but the rebels still hold the major northern towns of Timbuktu and Gao.
France, which has now deployed 2,300 troops, has said it will stay as long as needed and a large contingent of West African troops has assembled to support them.
As the air strikes continue, a senior member of the Ansar Dine Islamist group, which helped seize Mali’s north last year, said his fighters are part of a faction that is ready for talks with the government.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Israel’s Netanyahu warns Obama against Iran nuclear deal
- 19:33 CET Obama, European leaders to discuss Ukraine, global security
- 19:06 CET Ex-CIA chief Petraeus to plead guilty in affair-related case
- 18:58 CET Three dead as Kiev accuses Ukraine rebels of shelling
- 18:44 CET Activist writer’s trial tests freedom of expression in Italy
- 18:37 CET Pope approves legal framework for financial reform
- 18:27 CET Syrian rebels reject U.N. envoy’s ceasefire plan
- 18:10 CET U.S. envoy to Yemen to work from Jeddah after embassy’s closure