France has carried out air strikes on Asongo in Mali, just 80 kilmometres south of the Islamist stronghold of Gao.
The French military has released footage from the Malian skies, purportedly showing rebel vehicles being hit from the air.
France intervened in Mali two weeks ago, to push back an Islamic insurgency threatening its former colony.
The capital Bamako has been secured, but the rebels still hold the major northern towns of Timbuktu and Gao.
France, which has now deployed 2,300 troops, has said it will stay as long as needed and a large contingent of West African troops has assembled to support them.
As the air strikes continue, a senior member of the Ansar Dine Islamist group, which helped seize Mali’s north last year, said his fighters are part of a faction that is ready for talks with the government.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’