France has carried out air strikes on Asongo in Mali, just 80 kilmometres south of the Islamist stronghold of Gao.
The French military has released footage from the Malian skies, purportedly showing rebel vehicles being hit from the air.
France intervened in Mali two weeks ago, to push back an Islamic insurgency threatening its former colony.
The capital Bamako has been secured, but the rebels still hold the major northern towns of Timbuktu and Gao.
France, which has now deployed 2,300 troops, has said it will stay as long as needed and a large contingent of West African troops has assembled to support them.
As the air strikes continue, a senior member of the Ansar Dine Islamist group, which helped seize Mali’s north last year, said his fighters are part of a faction that is ready for talks with the government.
- 1Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 2Croatia celebrates 20th anniversary of ‘Operation Storm’
- 3Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 4India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
- 5German state and judiciary square up over treason probe
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Wildfire forces US town to evacuate as ‘Rocky’ rages on
Iran nuclear deal: Obama and Netanyahu make competing appeals to US Jews
Hiroshima 70 years on: Survivors remember horror of nuclear bomb
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
Wires > News
- 14:21 CET Don’t treat divorced Catholics as outcasts, Pope tells priests
- 14:20 CET China says has stopped reclamation work in South China Sea
- 14:19 CET Russia’s Lavrov criticises Obama over missile shield plans
- 14:17 CET Syrian Islamist group says had been in talks with Iran
- 14:14 CET Danish government plans referendum on EU defence opt-out
- 14:06 CET Malaysia’s anti-graft unit to ask Najib to explain 2.6 billion…
- 13:50 CET President-elect says Poland should be part of Ukraine peace talks…
- 13:48 CET Poll shows Spain set for unpredictable political autumn