On the second anniversary of Egypt’s uprising against Hosni Mubarak, street violence across the country turned deadly.
In Cairo there were running battles with riot police.
In Suez, doctors said several people were killed by gunfire – one report said seven had died.
The protesters’ fury is based on their belief that the promised benefits they fought for two years ago have failed to materialise.
Thousands of opponents of the president feel Mohamed Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood have hijacked the revolution and are forcing their Islamist agenda on the country, leaving many secularists and minorities without a voice.
The presidential palace in Cairo has become a fortress in recent weeks, with hastily built concrete walls designed to keep the discontents out.
It was not just Cairo and Suez. There has been rioting in Port Said and in Alexandria too where police and protesters came to blows near local government offices and the railway station.
Protester Osama Khalil said: “We are fed up. Ever since the revolution started, we haven’t been living well and things haven’t changed. In fact, they are worse.”
There was a more personal message for the president in his home town of Sharqiya.
Rioters set fire to a number of car tyres outside Mursi’s house and unleashed a hail of stones on the Muslim Brotherhood offices in the town.
As well as the dead, the number of injured all over the country is well into the hundreds.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
Wires > News
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:55 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 20:22 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession