In a surprise move, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has reshuffled his cabinet.
Following a meeting with President Abdullah Gul, he named four new ministers. The change comes at a time of critical peace talks with the country’s Kurdish separatists.
The biggest scalp was Interior Minister Idris Naim Sahin, who has always taken a strong line against the PKK.
He has been replaced by the more moderate Muammer Guler, the former Governor of Istanbul.
Elsewhere Mehmet Muezzinoglu has become the health minister.
Omer Celik has been appointed the Minister for Culture and Tourism, replacing Ertugrul Gunay who had been on a crusade to repatriate Turkish artefacts from overseas.
While Nabi Avci has been named as the new Education Minister.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 21:10 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17
- 20:31 CET Dutch ‘no’ on Ukraine pact would force rethink, minister says
- 20:29 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 19:08 CET El Salvador detains ex-soldiers for 1989 Jesuit priest killings
- 19:04 CET Nations aim for Afghan peace talks with Taliban by end-February
- 18:44 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe