In a surprise move, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has reshuffled his cabinet.
Following a meeting with President Abdullah Gul, he named four new ministers. The change comes at a time of critical peace talks with the country’s Kurdish separatists.
The biggest scalp was Interior Minister Idris Naim Sahin, who has always taken a strong line against the PKK.
He has been replaced by the more moderate Muammer Guler, the former Governor of Istanbul.
Elsewhere Mehmet Muezzinoglu has become the health minister.
Omer Celik has been appointed the Minister for Culture and Tourism, replacing Ertugrul Gunay who had been on a crusade to repatriate Turkish artefacts from overseas.
While Nabi Avci has been named as the new Education Minister.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 23:05 CET Manager at Japan’s Fukushima plant admits radioactive water…
- 22:51 CET Murders soar in Brazil World Cup city during police strike
- 22:32 CET Libya plans ‘smart cards’ to cut fuel subsidies that boost…
- 21:59 CET Israeli, Palestinian negotiators seek to rescue troubled talks
- 21:12 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA
- 21:00 CET Nigerian state says most abducted schoolgirls still missing
- 20:49 CET Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in