25/01/13 09:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
“Mursi, get out!” shout the demonstrators as they hold up empty teargas canisters and spent ammunition – the debris from running battles with police the night before.
It is the anniversary of the uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak from decades in power. But his successor is just as unpopular.
President Mursi is facing calls for the demands of the revolution to be realised.
Wael Ibrahim, one of the demonstrators, told euronews: “We went down into the streets to cast our votes, but we made a mistake and a bad choice. Our revolution isn’t about destruction. The revolution will make Egypt and its generations happy. Our demands are: dignity, humanity and a proper salary, we don’t need to live in villas.”
Mursi’s opponents claim that the Muslim Brotherhood – which propelled his rise to power – has betrayed them.
The Arab Spring brought hope to many Egyptians. But for just as many others, real change and democracy are still tantalisingly out of reach.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city