“Mursi, get out!” shout the demonstrators as they hold up empty teargas canisters and spent ammunition – the debris from running battles with police the night before.
It is the anniversary of the uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak from decades in power. But his successor is just as unpopular.
President Mursi is facing calls for the demands of the revolution to be realised.
Wael Ibrahim, one of the demonstrators, told euronews: “We went down into the streets to cast our votes, but we made a mistake and a bad choice. Our revolution isn’t about destruction. The revolution will make Egypt and its generations happy. Our demands are: dignity, humanity and a proper salary, we don’t need to live in villas.”
Mursi’s opponents claim that the Muslim Brotherhood – which propelled his rise to power – has betrayed them.
The Arab Spring brought hope to many Egyptians. But for just as many others, real change and democracy are still tantalisingly out of reach.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:46 CET Protesters march against Renzi labour reforms in Rome
- 16:37 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, two soldiers killed
- 16:17 CET U.S., allies stage 22 air strikes in Iraq – U.S. Central Command
- 16:14 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 15:55 CET On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course
- 15:52 CET Kurdish forces retake north Iraqi town from Islamic State
- 15:34 CET Al Qaeda militants push back Shi’ite rebels’ advance on central…
- 14:27 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO