Fresh clashes broke out in Cairo on the eve of the second anniversary of the Egyptian revolution which led to the downfall of Hosni Mubarak.
This time the violence was directed at the country’s first freely-elected leader, Mohamed Mursi.
Police used tear gas against protesters, as activists accused the president of betraying the goals of the Arab Spring uprising.
Political uncertainty and an economic crisis have undermined support for the country’s transition.
Mursi has also been accused of failing to deliver on election promises. Security issues and fuel and food shortages still frustrate many Egyptians.
Further mass protests are expected across the country on Friday, with large rallies in Cairo’s Tahrir Square and outside the presidential palace.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official