Venezuelan Vice-President Nicolas Maduro chose his Democracy Day speech to announce that the government has uncovered a plot to attack him or other senior figures in President Hugo Chavez’s party.
After his speech Maduro travelled to Cuba to visit the ailing Chavez, who remains in the country following cancer surgery:
“Today we want to make an important accusation. For several weeks we’ve been following groups that have infiltrated the country with the aim of making attempts on the life of assembly leader Diosdado Cabello and my own,” claimed the vice-president.
Despite Chavez being out of Venezuela for close to a month the ruling party has kept a tight grip on power, while the opposition claims that the government is “illegitimate.”
If Chavez dies or fails to return to power, the constitution demands a fresh election.
Opposition frustration rose to the surface when a state TV crew were jostled at a rally by supporters of Henrique Capriles.
The anti-Chavez camp claim that after his 14 year rule every institutional route of dissent is blocked.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:39 CET Rockets kill three women in Aleppo hospital – Iikhbariya TV
- 12:38 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:24 CET Canadian held for second day after social media criticism of Nepal…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…