Venezuelan Vice-President Nicolas Maduro chose his Democracy Day speech to announce that the government has uncovered a plot to attack him or other senior figures in President Hugo Chavez’s party.
After his speech Maduro travelled to Cuba to visit the ailing Chavez, who remains in the country following cancer surgery:
“Today we want to make an important accusation. For several weeks we’ve been following groups that have infiltrated the country with the aim of making attempts on the life of assembly leader Diosdado Cabello and my own,” claimed the vice-president.
Despite Chavez being out of Venezuela for close to a month the ruling party has kept a tight grip on power, while the opposition claims that the government is “illegitimate.”
If Chavez dies or fails to return to power, the constitution demands a fresh election.
Opposition frustration rose to the surface when a state TV crew were jostled at a rally by supporters of Henrique Capriles.
The anti-Chavez camp claim that after his 14 year rule every institutional route of dissent is blocked.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Iraq: Progress in fight to oust ISIL from Falluja but ‘civilians face starvation’
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
France holds international commemorations to mark the centenary of the Battle of Verdun
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Wires > News
- 22:03 CET U.N. envoy tells Security Council no Syria talks for 2-3 weeks
- 21:38 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 21:37 CET Chile’s students clash with police as protests intensify
- 20:56 CET Protester, police officer killed in Congo election protest – U.N.
- 20:26 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants