Venezuelan Vice-President Nicolas Maduro chose his Democracy Day speech to announce that the government has uncovered a plot to attack him or other senior figures in President Hugo Chavez’s party.
After his speech Maduro travelled to Cuba to visit the ailing Chavez, who remains in the country following cancer surgery:
“Today we want to make an important accusation. For several weeks we’ve been following groups that have infiltrated the country with the aim of making attempts on the life of assembly leader Diosdado Cabello and my own,” claimed the vice-president.
Despite Chavez being out of Venezuela for close to a month the ruling party has kept a tight grip on power, while the opposition claims that the government is “illegitimate.”
If Chavez dies or fails to return to power, the constitution demands a fresh election.
Opposition frustration rose to the surface when a state TV crew were jostled at a rally by supporters of Henrique Capriles.
The anti-Chavez camp claim that after his 14 year rule every institutional route of dissent is blocked.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Turkish prosecuters launch investigation into leader of pro-Kurdish opposition
MH370 relatives sceptical over Reunion debris discovery
Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Wires > News
- 06:25 CET Palestinian toddler killed in suspected Jewish extremist attack -…
- 06:03 CET Killing of Cecil the lion triggers probe by U.S. agency – source
- 06:00 CET Chinese professor accused of spying by U.S. released on bail
- 05:41 CET Plane debris on remote island points to breakthrough in MH370…
- 03:35 CET Taiwan students storm education ministry compound in textbook…
- 03:25 CET Obama urges supporters to lobby for Iran deal
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts