A year ago the Pentagon brought in a policy that freed up 14 thousand new jobs to women in the military. Since then, female personnel have run security operations and carried out house-to-house searches, but are still banned from front-line combat.
But that is about to change.
Officials say the US military is about to end its ban on women serving in front-line combat roles, opening up thousands of fighting jobs to females for the first time.
The decision has been made by outgoing US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta.
Individual services will have until 2016 to seek exemptions.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Death penalty sought for South Carolina church shooter
More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
Wires > News
- 11:00 CET Moscow poised to hand over prisoner Savchenko to Ukraine: reports
- 10:57 CET Obama to Asians worried about U.S. election – It’s going to be OK
- 10:51 CET Kenya says its troops kill 21 al Shabaab fighters in Somalia
- 10:41 CET Afghan Taliban appoint new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 10:12 CET Euro zone hails ‘breakthrough’ with Greece, IMF debt deal
- 10:11 CET War on terrier: Australia deputy PM dogs Depp with ‘Hannibal…
- 09:59 CET Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- 09:56 CET Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital