24/01/13 15:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Officials from South Korea have called on North Korea to refrain from “provocations”.
This came shortly after Pyongyang said it will go ahead with a nuclear test, in defiance of UN punishment.
Recently North Korea has dramatically stepped up its threats against what it called its “sworn enemy,” the United states.
Cho Tai-young of the South Korean Foreign Ministry said: “North Korea should listen to the messages the international community has sent until now, follow them and move forward in a non-confrontational manner. This path will benefit both North Korea and the international community.”
The North’s national defence commission rejected Tuesday’s UN Security Council resolution condemning a rocket launch in December.
It reaffirmed that this was a peaceful bid to send a satellite into space, but said the country’s rocket launches also have a military purpose: to strike back at the United States.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader