Officials from South Korea have called on North Korea to refrain from “provocations”.
This came shortly after Pyongyang said it will go ahead with a nuclear test, in defiance of UN punishment.
Recently North Korea has dramatically stepped up its threats against what it called its “sworn enemy,” the United states.
Cho Tai-young of the South Korean Foreign Ministry said: “North Korea should listen to the messages the international community has sent until now, follow them and move forward in a non-confrontational manner. This path will benefit both North Korea and the international community.”
The North’s national defence commission rejected Tuesday’s UN Security Council resolution condemning a rocket launch in December.
It reaffirmed that this was a peaceful bid to send a satellite into space, but said the country’s rocket launches also have a military purpose: to strike back at the United States.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo