Carlos Sa marathon runner and climber has entered the record books after his conquest of the highest peak in the Americas.
The Portuguese knocked nearly five hours off the record for the ascent of Aconcagua cutting the time from 20 hours to 15 hours and 42 minutes.
The mountain, in the Andes range in Argentina rises to almost 7,000 meters and this was Sa’s second attempt at the record.
Technically in mountaineering terms it is known as an easy climb, but it has what is called, “a hidden evil” the intense cold which has caused many injures to climbers in the past and Sa also had to cope with deep snow hampering his progress to the top and that record.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 01:22 CET Argentina’s Di Maria has medical ahead of PSG move
- 00:48 CET Mayweather returns to ring in September against Berto
- 00:20 CET Former Cardiff boss Solskjaer in talks with Toronto – agent
- 00:12 CET IAAF fights back against reports of widespread suspected doping
- 23:45 CET Brazilian senators to head to U.S., Switzerland, in football probe
- 23:38 CET Rapid Vienna knock out Ajax with dramatic win
- 23:35 CET Brazil politician proposes annual ‘Goal to Germany’ day
- 23:34 CET Stricker named an assistant captain for U.S. Presidents Cup