North Korea has announced it plans for a third nuclear rocket test. The statement gave no time frame for the experiment.
Pyongyang said the tests are “aimed at our arch-enemy, the United States.” The news comes 48 hours after the UN Security Council attacked North Korea’s December rocket launch and will further strain relations between North and South Korea.
Glyn Davies, the US Special Representative for North Korean policy, said:
“Further provocations are not going to help the process forward. They would only retard it, make it much more difficult for us to engage. It’s very important – I stressed this in my statement in the beginning – very important that North-South relations improve”.
South Korea said it deeply regretted the decision and urged its neighbour not to go ahead. The nuclear test will be the first under Kim Jong-un who has led the country since his father, Kim Jong-Il died in December 2011.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Culture ministers promote heritage and dialogue at Milan Expo
Hundreds of Crimean Tatar groups gather for world congress in Ankara
France: Roads gridlocked in ‘Black Saturday’ holiday getaway
Calais migrant crisis: France should ‘compensate’ UK drivers
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside
- 16:21 CET Airplane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 15:55 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 13:13 CET Syrian Kurdish forces say ‘provocative’ Turkey targeting them
- 13:09 CET Russia’s Lavrov to meet U.S., Saudi counterparts in Qatar