North Korea has announced it plans for a third nuclear rocket test. The statement gave no time frame for the experiment.
Pyongyang said the tests are “aimed at our arch-enemy, the United States.” The news comes 48 hours after the UN Security Council attacked North Korea’s December rocket launch and will further strain relations between North and South Korea.
Glyn Davies, the US Special Representative for North Korean policy, said:
“Further provocations are not going to help the process forward. They would only retard it, make it much more difficult for us to engage. It’s very important – I stressed this in my statement in the beginning – very important that North-South relations improve”.
South Korea said it deeply regretted the decision and urged its neighbour not to go ahead. The nuclear test will be the first under Kim Jong-un who has led the country since his father, Kim Jong-Il died in December 2011.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Latest world news
Turkish fury as minority Muslims ‘banned from fasting’ in China
Greeks worry about their future and their savings
“We gave an example of democracy” says Greek Prime Minister
Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Foreign TV channels camp out in Athens as nation awaits fallout from “No” vote
Wires > News
- 15:21 CET MP tells anti-gay rally: Obama should not push gay agenda in Kenya
- 15:03 CET Islamic State target Iraq’s Haditha town with vehicle bombs
- 14:53 CET Quake of 6.2 magnitude hits near Tonga – USGS
- 14:45 CET Insight – Tensions with Russia could prompt NATO strategy rethink
- 14:40 CET Gaza children ‘emotionally shattered’ one year after conflict
- 14:07 CET Egypt arrests Brotherhood members for alleged Suez plot – security…
- 13:36 CET Pakistani gunmen kill three in attack blamed on Islamist groups
- 13:27 CET Hungary passes law to tighten asylum rules