Traditional wooden farmhouses like those in Appensell, are iconically Swiss, but every year around 30 of them are demolished because it is so difficult to renovate them to modern standards.
But a European research project 3-ENCULT wants to save these houses and is finding new ways to modernise the buildings in an ecologically friendly way. A team at the Technical University of Darmstadt, in Germany, are evaluating the effects of different elements of the renovation – insulation is obviously a major issue and double glazing is essential. This house has been fitted with both external and internal insulation. Monitors around the house help researchers know exactly what works and what doesn’t.
Simone Reeb, a researcher at the University of Darmstadt explained: “We have about 160 sensors in the house, which measure the surface temperature, relative air humidity and absolute air humidity. Additionally, at some points we also collect the airflows. Right now all survey stations are feeding their data into the system, it is analysed, and eventually a heater or a humidifier could be activated as a result.”
Another possibility is using a different type of insulation to improve living standards inside the house, which is completely constructed from wood. Building houses like this is an old-established craft, and there are still some people around who keep the skills alive.
Eventually, the team hopes to find the best ways to insulate and heat these houses, to make them energy efficient, eco-friendly and comfortable to live in… as well as being iconic from the outside.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid