Traditional wooden farmhouses like those in Appensell, are iconically Swiss, but every year around 30 of them are demolished because it is so difficult to renovate them to modern standards.
But a European research project 3-ENCULT wants to save these houses and is finding new ways to modernise the buildings in an ecologically friendly way. A team at the Technical University of Darmstadt, in Germany, are evaluating the effects of different elements of the renovation – insulation is obviously a major issue and double glazing is essential. This house has been fitted with both external and internal insulation. Monitors around the house help researchers know exactly what works and what doesn’t.
Simone Reeb, a researcher at the University of Darmstadt explained: “We have about 160 sensors in the house, which measure the surface temperature, relative air humidity and absolute air humidity. Additionally, at some points we also collect the airflows. Right now all survey stations are feeding their data into the system, it is analysed, and eventually a heater or a humidifier could be activated as a result.”
Another possibility is using a different type of insulation to improve living standards inside the house, which is completely constructed from wood. Building houses like this is an old-established craft, and there are still some people around who keep the skills alive.
Eventually, the team hopes to find the best ways to insulate and heat these houses, to make them energy efficient, eco-friendly and comfortable to live in… as well as being iconic from the outside.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20EU split as UN approves raising of Palestinian flag