Traditional wooden farmhouses like those in Appensell, are iconically Swiss, but every year around 30 of them are demolished because it is so difficult to renovate them to modern standards.
But a European research project 3-ENCULT wants to save these houses and is finding new ways to modernise the buildings in an ecologically friendly way. A team at the Technical University of Darmstadt, in Germany, are evaluating the effects of different elements of the renovation – insulation is obviously a major issue and double glazing is essential. This house has been fitted with both external and internal insulation. Monitors around the house help researchers know exactly what works and what doesn’t.
Simone Reeb, a researcher at the University of Darmstadt explained: “We have about 160 sensors in the house, which measure the surface temperature, relative air humidity and absolute air humidity. Additionally, at some points we also collect the airflows. Right now all survey stations are feeding their data into the system, it is analysed, and eventually a heater or a humidifier could be activated as a result.”
Another possibility is using a different type of insulation to improve living standards inside the house, which is completely constructed from wood. Building houses like this is an old-established craft, and there are still some people around who keep the skills alive.
Eventually, the team hopes to find the best ways to insulate and heat these houses, to make them energy efficient, eco-friendly and comfortable to live in… as well as being iconic from the outside.
- 1Three diverse European projects with a handle on climate change
- 2Robots which tap into your feelings on show at Beijing’s World Robot Exhibition
- 3What’s the reality of Earth’s climate in 2015?
- 4Drones playing a crucial part in helping the Spanish Ibex goats.
- 5Unlocking the secrets of the Jupiter’s Icy Moons
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze