A new exhibition, Manet Portraying Life, has opened at the Royal Academy in London. The works on show span almost his entire career, and focus on him as a portrait painter. Many of his subjects were family and friends, and the exhibition includes a self-portrait of Manet relaxing.
Mary Anne Stevens, the Director of Academic Affairs at the Royal Academy of Arts, said: “He’s a totally committed portrait painter, but also and very importantly what this exhibition demonstrates is that when he came to paint scenes from contemporary life, which was the other aspect of his art which was very important, he used his family and his friends whom he had painted in portraits as models in these scenes of contemporary Parisian life.”
Manet also painted literary, political and artistic figures of his day, giving us a detailed picture of Parisian society at that time. There are more than 50 paintings on display, many of them studies of the painter’s wife, Suzanne.
The collection brings together works from across Europe, Asia and the US, both from private collections and museums.
The exhibition runs until 14th April.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections