A new exhibition, Manet Portraying Life, has opened at the Royal Academy in London. The works on show span almost his entire career, and focus on him as a portrait painter. Many of his subjects were family and friends, and the exhibition includes a self-portrait of Manet relaxing.
Mary Anne Stevens, the Director of Academic Affairs at the Royal Academy of Arts, said: “He’s a totally committed portrait painter, but also and very importantly what this exhibition demonstrates is that when he came to paint scenes from contemporary life, which was the other aspect of his art which was very important, he used his family and his friends whom he had painted in portraits as models in these scenes of contemporary Parisian life.”
Manet also painted literary, political and artistic figures of his day, giving us a detailed picture of Parisian society at that time. There are more than 50 paintings on display, many of them studies of the painter’s wife, Suzanne.
The collection brings together works from across Europe, Asia and the US, both from private collections and museums.
The exhibition runs until 14th April.
- 1Bitola: from macchiatos to mosaics
- 2‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 3Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 4Sufragette – a film which reflects a milestone in British history
- 5Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary