After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 10:21 CET Violent splinter group mars peace deal with Pakistan Taliban
- 10:18 CET Malaysia opposition’s Anwar convicted of sodomy
- 10:01 CET Cold War past shapes complex Merkel-Putin relationship
- 09:47 CET China voices ‘deep concern’ to North Korea over plane near-miss
- 09:35 CET Comic superhero Ultraman slain by Malaysian censors
- 09:18 CET U.S. says ready to do business with Indian front runner Modi
- 08:31 CET Erdogan says Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico