After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4The recovery of bodies goes on after Donetsk mine blast
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 16Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Exclusive: Sudan’s Bashir on ISIL, Darfur and accusations of genocide and war crimes | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 01:02 CET U.S. missionary kidnapped in Nigeria freed, church says
- 00:22 CET Detainee traded for Bergdahl may have contacted Taliban: officials
- 00:17 CET U.S. believed security for Seoul ambassador adequate before attack
- 23:49 CET Militants attack Libyan oilfield, 11 guards dead
- 22:15 CET Jeb Bush calls Clinton’s U.S. State Dept. email storage ‘baffling’
- 22:13 CET Church says detained pastor has no ties to purged N. Korean…
- 21:36 CET International focus turns to bolstering Ukraine ceasefire
- 21:07 CET Insight – Nemtsov’s friends ask: where were the police when he was…