24/01/13 07:18 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 4Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
Latest world news
Positive reactions to Syria ceasefire deal, but challenges lie ahead
Ding, ding, the gloves are off! Clinton and Sanders battle it out in Milwaukee
Tilda Swinton’s tip for surviving a George Clooney joke
Egypt awaits its revolution five years after Mubarak
Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
Wires > News
- 10:26 CET Russian PM says little sense in discussing Ukraine’s $3 billion…
- 10:09 CET Greek police fire tear gas to disperse angry farmers in Athens
- 09:47 CET Pakistan arrests 97 al-Qaeda and other militants; foils jailbreak…
- 08:11 CET Australian Cabinet minister resigns over unofficial China trip
- 07:10 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 05:29 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:12 CET Venezuela top court grants Maduro economic emergency powers…
- 04:02 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…