24/01/13 07:18 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 3Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
World Humanitarian Summit calls for shift of emphasis from response to prevention of refugee crisis
Austria’s Freedom Party ‘not far-right’, says Norbert Hofer
Out with the old… Cabinet changes in Turkish AKP reflect pro-Erdogan stance
Syria: US-backed fighters launch offensive to retake ISIL’s Raqqa
Special elite police units to help guard Tour de France
Wires > News
- 19:21 CET French strike hits refinery output in labour reform showdown
- 19:19 CET Saudi Arabia’s rulers adapt message for social media age
- 19:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 18:49 CET New Turkish cabinet reflects Erdogan’s growing power
- 18:46 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 18:22 CET 60,000 union workers protest labour reform plans in Brussels
- 18:01 CET Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- 17:55 CET Student protesters tussle with guards at Chile presidential palace