After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Wires > News
- 13:46 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 13:44 CET Libya arrests three suspected smugglers over migrant boat disaster
- 13:31 CET Dozens of young Swazi women die on road to royal ceremony
- 13:24 CET Thousands rally to pile pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 13:19 CET French journalists probed on suspicion of blackmailing Moroccan…
- 11:55 CET North Korea agrees to talks with South on family reunions
- 11:28 CET Anguish of ‘disappearance’ continues across the world, say…
- 10:30 CET Nigeria says uncovers Boko Haram spy ring at Abuja airport