After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 04:50 CET Divers enter capsized South Korean ferry in hunt for survivors
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake
- 00:34 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali