24/01/13 07:18 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
After seven years in a Mexican prison, Florence Cassez is finally free to return home.
The 38-year-old Frenchwoman was driven straight to the airport to board a flight back to France.
Her release came after Mexico’s top court ruled her trial on charges of kidnapping had not been fair and ordered her to be immediately set free.
Florence’s mother told reporters of her reaction to the news. “She’s fabulous. She really earned her freedom. She fought for all this time with such strength. The strength of innocence. With her beliefs. She’s extraordinary. I adore my daughter.
Florence Cassez was serving a 60-year sentence for kidnapping that opened up a diplomatic rift between France and Mexico.
“I wish to salute the Mexican judicial system, because it allowed the law to prevail. We were confident that it would and today we can say that between France and Mexico we have the best possible relations that can be established.” Francoise Hollande told journalists.
Florence Cassez was arrested in 2005 at a ranch near Mexico City with her former boyfriend, who led a gang of kidnappers known as the Zodiacs.
She was subsequently forced to take part in a staged reenactment which portrayed her as one of the kidnappers.
She was sentenced in 2008 following a trial behind closed doors at which only one judge sat.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
‘Scotland’s voice will be heard’ – Sturgeon vows to fight to maintain EU ties
Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
EU leaders gather for the post-Brexit summit in Brussels
Germany says UK will not be allowed to ‘cherry pick’ over Brexit deal
Wires > News
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…
- 18:09 CET Sweden, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. council for 2017-18
- 17:22 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 17:17 CET Cracks show inside Islamic State’s shrinking caliphate
- 17:16 CET Poland risks Moscow’s ire with plan to relocate war memorials
- 16:56 CET Kremlin dents Turkish hopes for quick restoration of ties
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…