The EU has accused Brazil of protectionism in the past.
But leaders tried to put those differences to one side at a joint trade summit in Brasilia.
European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso and European Council president Herman Van Rompuy both attended the event.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said her country’s ties with Brussels were key to economic growth.
“What is very relevant is the fact that in Brazil there are a great number of European companies that help to sustain growth in our country and that create jobs,” she said.
Brazil has hiked import tariffs on a number of products, including cars and pharmaceuticals.
It argues cheap money created by foreign central banks has flowed into the country, pushing up the real and crippling its exports.
The latest data which is available shows Brazil sells 20 percent of its exports to the European Union.
The EU, in turn, wants to boost the volume of goods sold to Brazil as a means of creating jobs and growth in Europe.
The IMF predicts the country’s economy will grow by 3.5 percent this year and four percent next year.
The European Commission has been negotiating a free trade deal with the Mercosur trading bloc, of which Brazil is a member, for the past twelve years.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news