The EU has accused Brazil of protectionism in the past.
But leaders tried to put those differences to one side at a joint trade summit in Brasilia.
European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso and European Council president Herman Van Rompuy both attended the event.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said her country’s ties with Brussels were key to economic growth.
“What is very relevant is the fact that in Brazil there are a great number of European companies that help to sustain growth in our country and that create jobs,” she said.
Brazil has hiked import tariffs on a number of products, including cars and pharmaceuticals.
It argues cheap money created by foreign central banks has flowed into the country, pushing up the real and crippling its exports.
The latest data which is available shows Brazil sells 20 percent of its exports to the European Union.
The EU, in turn, wants to boost the volume of goods sold to Brazil as a means of creating jobs and growth in Europe.
The IMF predicts the country’s economy will grow by 3.5 percent this year and four percent next year.
The European Commission has been negotiating a free trade deal with the Mercosur trading bloc, of which Brazil is a member, for the past twelve years.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech