The EU has accused Brazil of protectionism in the past.
But leaders tried to put those differences to one side at a joint trade summit in Brasilia.
European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso and European Council president Herman Van Rompuy both attended the event.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said her country’s ties with Brussels were key to economic growth.
“What is very relevant is the fact that in Brazil there are a great number of European companies that help to sustain growth in our country and that create jobs,” she said.
Brazil has hiked import tariffs on a number of products, including cars and pharmaceuticals.
It argues cheap money created by foreign central banks has flowed into the country, pushing up the real and crippling its exports.
The latest data which is available shows Brazil sells 20 percent of its exports to the European Union.
The EU, in turn, wants to boost the volume of goods sold to Brazil as a means of creating jobs and growth in Europe.
The IMF predicts the country’s economy will grow by 3.5 percent this year and four percent next year.
The European Commission has been negotiating a free trade deal with the Mercosur trading bloc, of which Brazil is a member, for the past twelve years.
- 1Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 2Captagon: the so-called ‘super’ stimulant ‘used in Syria’
- 3Belgian security officials hit back at French criticism
- 4EU backs French demands for better surveillance after Paris attacks
- 5ISIL threat is ‘a wake-up call for Europe’, says leading defence expert
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary