Italian Erasmus Students are angry: they won’t be able to vote in the general elections on February 24-25 because of what is seen as a flaw in Italian law. People abroad for short periods (whether for holiday, work, study or any other reason) are not meant to cast their ballot unless they travel back to their home town, with very few exceptions (such as teachers working abroad and soldiers on a mission).
After the EU scolded Italy for what it describes as a ‘discriminatory’ law, Mario Monti’s government tried to find a solution, but in vain.
Is this situation an exception in Europe? Can’t the EU do anything about it?
Karel Bartak, Head of Unit at DG Education and Culture, will answer these and other questions in a special chat, scheduled for next Wednesday, January 30th, at 5pm CET. It’s here, you are all invited!
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news