Italian Erasmus Students are angry: they won’t be able to vote in the general elections on February 24-25 because of what is seen as a flaw in Italian law. People abroad for short periods (whether for holiday, work, study or any other reason) are not meant to cast their ballot unless they travel back to their home town, with very few exceptions (such as teachers working abroad and soldiers on a mission).
After the EU scolded Italy for what it describes as a ‘discriminatory’ law, Mario Monti’s government tried to find a solution, but in vain.
Is this situation an exception in Europe? Can’t the EU do anything about it?
Karel Bartak, Head of Unit at DG Education and Culture, will answer these and other questions in a special chat, scheduled for next Wednesday, January 30th, at 5pm CET. It’s here, you are all invited!
- 1Kaufmann’s dark take on Beethoven at Salzburg Festival
- 2Leona Lewis returns with “I Am”
- 3Troxy claims largest theatre organ title after Wurlitzer restoration
- 4Awakening the force, Disney reveals new adventures for Star Wars fans
- 5Watch Fidelio at the Salzburg Festival with Jonas Kaufmann & Adrianne Pieczonka
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 5Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Why World Elephant Day matters
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
- 20Who are the six EU countries with shortest memories on migration?