Italian Erasmus Students are angry: they won’t be able to vote in the general elections on February 24-25 because of what is seen as a flaw in Italian law. People abroad for short periods (whether for holiday, work, study or any other reason) are not meant to cast their ballot unless they travel back to their home town, with very few exceptions (such as teachers working abroad and soldiers on a mission).
After the EU scolded Italy for what it describes as a ‘discriminatory’ law, Mario Monti’s government tried to find a solution, but in vain.
Is this situation an exception in Europe? Can’t the EU do anything about it?
Karel Bartak, Head of Unit at DG Education and Culture, will answer these and other questions in a special chat, scheduled for next Wednesday, January 30th, at 5pm CET. It’s here, you are all invited!
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 15Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 16Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news