Catalonia’s parliament has adopted a declaration of sovereignty, the first step towards a possible referendum on breaking away from Spain.
The nationalist resolution was passed with 85 votes for and 41 against, increasing the pressure on Madrid.
Catalonia’s two main nationalist parties signed a pact last month pledging to hold a referendum next year.
Speaking in Catalan before the vote, the president of the regional government Artur Mas said it would be historic.
“Maybe it will not resolve our problems in 24 hours, but it will lead our country towards its destiny,” he added.
A few smaller parties backed the declaration, but it was opposed by the Catalan Socialist Party and Spain’s governing centre-right People’s Party.
Alicia Sanchez, head of the People’s Party of Catalonia said:
“Most Catalonian people do not want independence, they do not want this division. What you are doing today is applying pressure in defiance of the Spanish government.”
Catalonia’s nationalists were boosted by the unexpected size of a pro-independence rally in Barcelona last September, when up to an estimated half a million people took to the streets.
The declaration voted by parliament says the path towards self-determination, which is opposed by Madrid, will involve dialogue with the Spanish state, European institutions and the international community.
- 1Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 2Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 3Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 4Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 5Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
Thai police arrest ‘Turkish’ man over Bangkok bombing
Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
Wires > News
- 07:51 CET China investigates former chairman of Wuhan Iron and Steel
- 07:00 CET Brazilian weekly says Lula lobbied for Odebrecht in Cuba
- 02:19 CET American arrested on Sierra Leone ‘blood diamond’ charges
- 23:40 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 22:15 CET Turkish opposition leader says talks would secure Kurdish ceasefire
- 21:10 CET Refugee children, close to death, found in van in Austria
- 19:19 CET European ministers agree more railway security, urge Schengen…
- 19:11 CET Myanmar bans parties from criticising army in state media