24/01/13 07:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Catalonia’s parliament has adopted a declaration of sovereignty, the first step towards a possible referendum on breaking away from Spain.
The nationalist resolution was passed with 85 votes for and 41 against, increasing the pressure on Madrid.
Catalonia’s two main nationalist parties signed a pact last month pledging to hold a referendum next year.
Speaking in Catalan before the vote, the president of the regional government Artur Mas said it would be historic.
“Maybe it will not resolve our problems in 24 hours, but it will lead our country towards its destiny,” he added.
A few smaller parties backed the declaration, but it was opposed by the Catalan Socialist Party and Spain’s governing centre-right People’s Party.
Alicia Sanchez, head of the People’s Party of Catalonia said:
“Most Catalonian people do not want independence, they do not want this division. What you are doing today is applying pressure in defiance of the Spanish government.”
Catalonia’s nationalists were boosted by the unexpected size of a pro-independence rally in Barcelona last September, when up to an estimated half a million people took to the streets.
The declaration voted by parliament says the path towards self-determination, which is opposed by Madrid, will involve dialogue with the Spanish state, European institutions and the international community.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Spain: puppeteers charged with “glorifying terrorism”
Continuity IRA reportedly behind Dublin shooting
Wires > News
- 22:00 CET Israel may bank on Obama’s successor for future U.S. aid pact -…
- 21:55 CET Lives at risk unless WHO reforms, U.N. report says
- 21:44 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased Islamic State…
- 21:02 CET Migrant arrivals to Greece’s Lesbos rise after days of bad weather
- 19:43 CET Four killed in crash of Russian military helicopter
- 19:14 CET Riot police detain forex mortgage protesters in Moscow
- 19:10 CET Obama, Italy’s Mattarella discuss fight against Islamic State in…
- 16:48 CET Uganda police buy anti-riot gear ahead of Museveni’s re-election…