24/01/13 16:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A motorist in Russia has caught on camera the moment a one-year-old baby came within centimetres of a passing truck after being thrown from a car after a crash.
The driver of a white Mitsubishi lost control of his car after overtaking in snowy conditions in Nizhny Novgorod.
When the vehicle hit a lorry moving in the opposite direction , the impact took away the rear of the car, leaving the back seat exposed.
The toddler, who police say was wrapped in a blanket underneath the rear window rather than strapped into the back seat, is seen tumbling from the Mitsubishi into the path of another oncoming lorry.
Fortunately the lorry driver was able to steer away from the little girl, who escaped with only small cuts and bruises.
Thanks to the footage, taken by a dashboard camera, traffic police were able to track the 53-year-old driver of the Mitsubishi who, as well as neglecting to strap in the child as required by law, performed an illegal overtaking manoeuvre, according to authorities.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…
- 16:32 CET Former pope Benedict makes rare appearance with successor Francis
- 16:14 CET Top U.S. Republican wants trade talks with Britain
- 16:12 CET Russia says U.S. warship in near miss with Russian vessel in…
- 15:51 CET Germany sees rise in far-right violence, warns of ‘terrorist…
- 15:50 CET French unions lead labour law protest before meeting PM
- 15:23 CET Jailed Bahraini activist taken to hospital with heart problems -…
- 15:21 CET Lebanon fears more attacks after multiple suicide bombings