24/01/13 16:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A motorist in Russia has caught on camera the moment a one-year-old baby came within centimetres of a passing truck after being thrown from a car after a crash.
The driver of a white Mitsubishi lost control of his car after overtaking in snowy conditions in Nizhny Novgorod.
When the vehicle hit a lorry moving in the opposite direction , the impact took away the rear of the car, leaving the back seat exposed.
The toddler, who police say was wrapped in a blanket underneath the rear window rather than strapped into the back seat, is seen tumbling from the Mitsubishi into the path of another oncoming lorry.
Fortunately the lorry driver was able to steer away from the little girl, who escaped with only small cuts and bruises.
Thanks to the footage, taken by a dashboard camera, traffic police were able to track the 53-year-old driver of the Mitsubishi who, as well as neglecting to strap in the child as required by law, performed an illegal overtaking manoeuvre, according to authorities.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Wires > News
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…