Turkish police have broken up a violent mob in the port town of Iskenderun, after nationalist activists attacked three German soldiers.
28 protesters from the Turkish Union of Youth have been detained.
The ultra-nationalist group is known for throwing bags over the heads of NATO forces. It carries out the practice in protest at an incident during the 2003-4 Iraq war, in which US forces captured and hooded Turkish soldiers.
Ilker Yucel, leader of the Turkish Union of Youth, says:
“We will not allow foreign soldiers to walk freely in our country. We will continue to throw bags over soldiers. We just did and will continue to do so.”
Germany, the Netherlands and the United States are each sending two Patriot missile batteries and up to 400 troops to Turkey, following a request from Ankara.
The reinforcements are intended to protect the country from potential attack by neighbouring Syria.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army