Eleven days after the beginning of Operation Serval in Mali, US supply planes have begun arriving in Bamako.
American transport planes have arrived on the runway at Bamako – but French soldiers are getting out. There have been five such flights so far, bringing a total of 140 tonnes of equipment and 80 personnel.
At UN level, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon warned against compromising the organisation’s neutrality.
“Mali is under threat from terrorists with regional and global repercussions. Addressing these challenges requires political, security and humanitarian efforts. At the same time in calibrating the extent of its own involvement, the United Nations has to carefully take into account the human rights, safety and security issues at stake.”
The UN says the humanitarian situation is another worry. Thousands of people have been forced from their homes over the past 10 days as the fighting has increased.
An estimated 230,000 people are now displaced across the country.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
US primaries: Trump leading Republican pack, Sanders gaining on Clinton
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Syrians flee to Turkish border as government forces close in on Aleppo
Wires > News
- 11:24 CET Three British troops injured in covert operation in Iraq – Mirror
- 11:17 CET Australian state premier offers 267 asylum seekers refuge
- 10:41 CET Taiwan quake kills at least eight, fells apartment block
- 10:18 CET Iran mocks Saudi offer to send ground troops to Syria
- 08:26 CET Al Qaeda mourns death of top commander in Yemen
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers