Centre-left parties have taken the shine off Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s claimed victory in the Israeli election.
Exit polls suggest Yesh Atid, led by former TV presenter Yair Lapid came second with 19 seats, an astonishing achievement for a newcomer in a field of 32 parties.
The once-dominant Labour party, led by Shelly Yachimovich, is set to take third place with 17 seats.
“The tough political work starts in the morning and we will all be involved – to form a coalition, as I already said, a social and peace-seeking coalition, that is not led Benjamin Netanyahu” she told reporters.
Netanyahu is likely to remain in power, but faces a rapprochement with the centre, due to Yesh Atid’s surprise success.
How this will sit with the other likely members of his broad coalition remains to be seen.
The process of coalition building could take weeks.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:33 CET Egyptian court acquits 17 charged for protest at which activist…
- 17:29 CET Irish voters back gay marriage in ‘social revolution’
- 17:27 CET Dozens killed in al Shabaab fighting in Somalia, attack in capital
- 16:22 CET Northern rebels say captured 19 Mali soldiers
- 16:00 CET As tensions ease, Cyprus leaders enjoy coffee and cake in capital
- 15:05 CET Slovak PM launches re-election drive with tax cuts, wage hikes
- 14:54 CET Germany declines comment on reported ‘deep freeze’ with …
- 13:18 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults – PM Medvedev