Centre-left parties have taken the shine off Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s claimed victory in the Israeli election.
Exit polls suggest Yesh Atid, led by former TV presenter Yair Lapid came second with 19 seats, an astonishing achievement for a newcomer in a field of 32 parties.
The once-dominant Labour party, led by Shelly Yachimovich, is set to take third place with 17 seats.
“The tough political work starts in the morning and we will all be involved – to form a coalition, as I already said, a social and peace-seeking coalition, that is not led Benjamin Netanyahu” she told reporters.
Netanyahu is likely to remain in power, but faces a rapprochement with the centre, due to Yesh Atid’s surprise success.
How this will sit with the other likely members of his broad coalition remains to be seen.
The process of coalition building could take weeks.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 4World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 20:04 CET Kremlin critic Navalny files lawsuit against Putin
- 19:56 CET Spanish court orders house search on former PP official
- 19:41 CET Cypriot president says peace talks make progress but work needed
- 19:39 CET Central Europeans need to do more to help refugees, UN agency says
- 19:32 CET Former Pakistan military leader Musharraf hospitalised with chest…
- 19:20 CET Kerry wants ‘all or nothing’ truce at Syria talks
- 18:58 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 18:56 CET U.N. mission sends Burundi officers home over unrest