The result of the Israeli election has been greeted with a mixture of resignation and indifference among Palestinians.
Now, as before, the main sticking point is the building of Jewish settlements on land considered by the Palestinians to have been usurped.
In the West Bank capital, Ramallah, one resident said: “They’re going to increase the number of settlements and take over more land. They’re going to suffocate the Palestinians as usual. It’s nothing new, but much worse.”
There was scepticism too in the Gaza Strip, which is controlled by the Islamist Hamas Palestinian faction.
Senior Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said: “Despite the big changes on the Israeli political map, their party manifestos reaffirm their intention to continue aggression against our people and to deny our national rights.”
Direct peace talks between the Palestinians and Israel broke down in 2010 over settlement building in the West Bank. Palestinians believe the land Israel is using is vital to any future Palestinian nation created under a two-state solution.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > News
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 14:19 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777