Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has emerged from Israel’s election poised to form its next government, according to exit polls.
He wasted no time in evoking what he sees as the major threat to Israel: Iran’s potential nuclear capability.
But the issue barely registered during the campaign. Only 10 percent of Israelis thought it important compared to 47 percent for social and economic issues.
“The government we are going to form will be based on five principles. First and foremost, the security capability to deal with the threats we face. And the main threat was and still is to prevent Iran getting a nuclear weapon.”, Netanyahu told reporters at a post-poll rally.
The strong showing of centre and left parties, mainly among the young vote, means Netanyahu is likely to have to give them a seat at the table as well. The head of the right-wing Likud party already aligned in a single bloc with the ultranationalist Yisrael Beitenu group, hopes to put together a broad majority in the 120 member Knesset.
Work will get underway as soon as possible to choose a functioning coalition to govern Israel.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 02:12 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’