The surprise rise of the centre-left is threatening to derail the current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Commentators see it as a vote against right-wing radicalisation and his failure to address social strife. Some are shocked by the result as polls before the election had predicted a shift to the right. One Jerusalem resident expressed her disappointment that the ultra-nationalist Habayit Hayehudi (Jewish Home), which rejects the notion of an independent Palestinian state, won only 11 seats.
“I am a bit surprised, I did not expect Yair Lapid to get so many votes. I am a bit surprised and how do you say, a bit disappointed because I thought Bennett will get more voices.”
Coalition talks are just beginning, with Netanyahu offering to work with Yasher Atid. However, its leader Yair Lapid vowed to join a government only if it is committed to peace talks. Some are looking forward to a different future for Israeli politics:
“It’s an opportunity now for the government to eliminate the influence, the over influence, of the religious parties. The prime minister was shown that he did now have such a strong mandate, but still the people want him as prime minister,” explains Jerusalem resident Shimon Pomerantz.
Coalition talks look set to be tough and the deadline is set at 28 days, but can be extended by a further 14. It may just go into extra time.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…