The surprise rise of the centre-left is threatening to derail the current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Commentators see it as a vote against right-wing radicalisation and his failure to address social strife. Some are shocked by the result as polls before the election had predicted a shift to the right. One Jerusalem resident expressed her disappointment that the ultra-nationalist Habayit Hayehudi (Jewish Home), which rejects the notion of an independent Palestinian state, won only 11 seats.
“I am a bit surprised, I did not expect Yair Lapid to get so many votes. I am a bit surprised and how do you say, a bit disappointed because I thought Bennett will get more voices.”
Coalition talks are just beginning, with Netanyahu offering to work with Yasher Atid. However, its leader Yair Lapid vowed to join a government only if it is committed to peace talks. Some are looking forward to a different future for Israeli politics:
“It’s an opportunity now for the government to eliminate the influence, the over influence, of the religious parties. The prime minister was shown that he did now have such a strong mandate, but still the people want him as prime minister,” explains Jerusalem resident Shimon Pomerantz.
Coalition talks look set to be tough and the deadline is set at 28 days, but can be extended by a further 14. It may just go into extra time.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…