In Israel exit polls suggest the predicted shift to the right has ended in a dead heat.
The centre-left Yasher Atid party has risen to a close second place, giving current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud-Beiteinu alliance only a narrow win.
At the Likud party HQ celebrations went on into the night, but in Netanyahu’s victory speech he pledged to form a broad coalition in the wake of the unexpected result. His top priorities related to security and preventing Iran from having a nuclear weapon.
Analysts were stunned with the rise of Yasher Atid, formed just 9 months ago under former journalist Yair Lapid, it has defied predictions of a shift to the right. This will mean political horse-trading will ensue when Netayanhu comes to form his cabinet.
Coming in third, the previously popular Labour party have vowed to counter any coalition under Netanyahu.
The biggest upset was for nationalist party Habayit Hayehudi, led by Netanyahu’s former chief-of-staff Naftali Bennett who had been hailed as the rising star of Israeli politics before Yair Lapid stole the show.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 02:57 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least two dead
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 00:12 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…
- 23:49 CET Guinea journalist killed in clashes between opposition factions
- 23:19 CET U.S., Britain eye letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat…