In Israel exit polls suggest the predicted shift to the right has ended in a dead heat.
The centre-left Yasher Atid party has risen to a close second place, giving current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud-Beiteinu alliance only a narrow win.
At the Likud party HQ celebrations went on into the night, but in Netanyahu’s victory speech he pledged to form a broad coalition in the wake of the unexpected result. His top priorities related to security and preventing Iran from having a nuclear weapon.
Analysts were stunned with the rise of Yasher Atid, formed just 9 months ago under former journalist Yair Lapid, it has defied predictions of a shift to the right. This will mean political horse-trading will ensue when Netayanhu comes to form his cabinet.
Coming in third, the previously popular Labour party have vowed to counter any coalition under Netanyahu.
The biggest upset was for nationalist party Habayit Hayehudi, led by Netanyahu’s former chief-of-staff Naftali Bennett who had been hailed as the rising star of Israeli politics before Yair Lapid stole the show.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:48 CET U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near…
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report
- 08:14 CET Japan needs to send officials to North Korea on abduction issue -…
- 08:08 CET Japan PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:33 CET Indonesia’s Joko Widodo sworn in as president
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98
- 04:18 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…