Austenland, directed by Jerusha Hess, and staring Jane Seymour, has premiered at Sundance.
The plot concerns an Austen fan who goes to a theme park in search of Mr Darcy and of course, gets more than she bargained for. Cue wet shirts and heaving bosoms.
It is the latest offering in what is rapidly becoming a rom com sub-genre of its own: stories about women who prefer Austen’s world to their own.
That doesn’t mean it’s a complete duck though. It’s lush and silly and is just that ideal sugar/salt mix that makes popcorn so munchable. Pass the white wine, girls. Darcy, get your shirt off…
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985019/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
For the making-of see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdmo96Afhc4
Nicole Kidman was also at Sundance to promote her latest film, Stoker, directed by Park Chan-Wook.
A much darker, more serious offering than Austenland, it is a Gothic family drama involving death, incestuous desires, and eyebrows that slope up at the sides. The film starts slowly and builds to a climax which is, for the faint-hearted, mercifully short on gratuitous gore. Probably a must see, especially if you’ve ever secretly yearned to dye your hair jet black.
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682180/
For the trailer see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpDG4WR_74
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 7Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 12Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 13Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 14Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy