Austenland, directed by Jerusha Hess, and staring Jane Seymour, has premiered at Sundance.
The plot concerns an Austen fan who goes to a theme park in search of Mr Darcy and of course, gets more than she bargained for. Cue wet shirts and heaving bosoms.
It is the latest offering in what is rapidly becoming a rom com sub-genre of its own: stories about women who prefer Austen’s world to their own.
That doesn’t mean it’s a complete duck though. It’s lush and silly and is just that ideal sugar/salt mix that makes popcorn so munchable. Pass the white wine, girls. Darcy, get your shirt off…
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985019/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
For the making-of see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdmo96Afhc4
Nicole Kidman was also at Sundance to promote her latest film, Stoker, directed by Park Chan-Wook.
A much darker, more serious offering than Austenland, it is a Gothic family drama involving death, incestuous desires, and eyebrows that slope up at the sides. The film starts slowly and builds to a climax which is, for the faint-hearted, mercifully short on gratuitous gore. Probably a must see, especially if you’ve ever secretly yearned to dye your hair jet black.
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682180/
For the trailer see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpDG4WR_74
- 1Darga: a symbol of rising music talent from the Maghreb region
- 2Stravinsky’s ‘Rake’s Progress’: a beautiful, tragic fall from grace at NY’ Met Opera
- 3San Andreas, big budget disaster movie on shaky ground
- 4NY Met’s Young Artist Program a heaven for upcoming opera stars
- 5Violin virtuosos compete in Brussels for prestige and a Stradivarius
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent