Austenland, directed by Jerusha Hess, and staring Jane Seymour, has premiered at Sundance.
The plot concerns an Austen fan who goes to a theme park in search of Mr Darcy and of course, gets more than she bargained for. Cue wet shirts and heaving bosoms.
It is the latest offering in what is rapidly becoming a rom com sub-genre of its own: stories about women who prefer Austen’s world to their own.
That doesn’t mean it’s a complete duck though. It’s lush and silly and is just that ideal sugar/salt mix that makes popcorn so munchable. Pass the white wine, girls. Darcy, get your shirt off…
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985019/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
For the making-of see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdmo96Afhc4
Nicole Kidman was also at Sundance to promote her latest film, Stoker, directed by Park Chan-Wook.
A much darker, more serious offering than Austenland, it is a Gothic family drama involving death, incestuous desires, and eyebrows that slope up at the sides. The film starts slowly and builds to a climax which is, for the faint-hearted, mercifully short on gratuitous gore. Probably a must see, especially if you’ve ever secretly yearned to dye your hair jet black.
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682180/
For the trailer see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpDG4WR_74
- 1Inside a ceramic master’s workshop
- 2Madame X takes to the stage in Strapless, a Royal Ballet production inspired by a scandalous painting
- 314-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 4Shift of focus: Refugees take the spotlight at the Berlin Film Festival
- 5Leonardo Da Vinci – the imagination and inventions of a genius
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
latest cinema news
Shift of focus: Refugees take the spotlight at the Berlin Film Festival
The misguided decisions of a Danish Captain in Oscar nominated Krigen
The Survivalist charts ruthlessness of a post-apocalyptic world
Honour killings are premeditated murders, says director of A Girl in the River
Colonia is more than just a history lesson – Gallenberger