22/01/13 17:10 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A council in Ireland has voted to back a motion allowing some people to drive while above the legal alcohol limit.
Kerry County Council will now ask Justice Minister Alan Shatter to approve the creation of a permit that will allow rural drinkers to drive after having “two or three drinks”.
The controversial motion was put forward by Independent Councillor Danny Healy-Rae who claims it will help combat depression and suicide in the county, among people who have lost a social outlet due to stricter drink driving rules.
“There are many people locked in at home now in rural, isolated places who are looking at the four walls and they can’t get out because they can’t even have one drink,” he said. “They’re travelling in very minor roads, often on tractors, with very little traffic and it’s not right they’re being treated the same as the rest of the travelling public and they have never killed anyone.”
The motion has outraged many people in Kerry and across Ireland. Speaking to RTE Kerry Mayor Terry O’Brien said: “It is incredibly dangerous. I don’t know how anybody can be allowed to say ‘You’ve had two pints, so you’re justified to drive’.”
Others said the motion is to serve the interests of publicans. Three of the five councilors who supported the motion – including Healy-Rae himself – own pubs in County Kerry, and a fourth was Healy-Rae’s son.
- 1Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 2‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 3Iraqi army enters Falluja as assault approaches decisive phase
- 4Rescuers publish image of drowned migrant baby
- 5Turkey: Muslim families should forget birth control says Erdogan
Wires > News
- 07:28 CET Fire breaks out in Indian arms depot, several feared dead
- 07:24 CET Saudi says intercepts and destroys ballistic missile from Yemen
- 07:12 CET Good morning, North Korea! Defector preaches dangers of cult…
- 06:17 CET El Salvador gang truce mediator released from detention
- 05:36 CET Haiti commission recommends scrapping disputed election results
- 05:31 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 04:47 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 04:30 CET Top North Korean official visits China – Kyodo