At Paris Fashion week, the Iris Van Herpen autumn/winter couture show kicked off with an electrifying performance by a living statue shooting what looked like lightening bolts into the audience. It was a memorable way of introducing the avant garde designer’s theme, which was voltage.
White trapezoid silhouettes with all-over spiky appliques perfectly evoked the high-energy fuzz of a voltage current.
In black, several dresses sported fine, bendy strips which pointed upward, like human hair that’s exposed to static electricity.
The theme of sea creatures is recurrent in Van Herpen’s artistic vocabulary — seen explored in one column dress that was reminiscent of the energy-rich phosphorescence of deep-sea Medusas.
This show — featuring some of the most imaginative clothes the Dutch wunderkind has produced — will set her in good stead for her debut ready-to-wear show in March.
The stars came out in force to see the new Dior collection. Celebrities in the audience included Jessica Alba, Sigourney Weaver and Laetitia Casta.
The catwalk was surrounded by box hedges and hazelnut trees, to set off the romantic designs.
The flower theme was most obviously expressed in floral embroideries. And in this respect, the floral reference was less subtle than last season, which played more with the inverted flower silhouette of Dior’s famous 1947 “New Look.”
Newcomer on the block Alexis Mabille has just obtained the haute couture label. His collection was baby sweet and ultra feminine. Truly a collection made for a princess.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news