At Paris Fashion week, the Iris Van Herpen autumn/winter couture show kicked off with an electrifying performance by a living statue shooting what looked like lightening bolts into the audience. It was a memorable way of introducing the avant garde designer’s theme, which was voltage.
White trapezoid silhouettes with all-over spiky appliques perfectly evoked the high-energy fuzz of a voltage current.
In black, several dresses sported fine, bendy strips which pointed upward, like human hair that’s exposed to static electricity.
The theme of sea creatures is recurrent in Van Herpen’s artistic vocabulary — seen explored in one column dress that was reminiscent of the energy-rich phosphorescence of deep-sea Medusas.
This show — featuring some of the most imaginative clothes the Dutch wunderkind has produced — will set her in good stead for her debut ready-to-wear show in March.
The stars came out in force to see the new Dior collection. Celebrities in the audience included Jessica Alba, Sigourney Weaver and Laetitia Casta.
The catwalk was surrounded by box hedges and hazelnut trees, to set off the romantic designs.
The flower theme was most obviously expressed in floral embroideries. And in this respect, the floral reference was less subtle than last season, which played more with the inverted flower silhouette of Dior’s famous 1947 “New Look.”
Newcomer on the block Alexis Mabille has just obtained the haute couture label. His collection was baby sweet and ultra feminine. Truly a collection made for a princess.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary