At Paris Fashion week, the Iris Van Herpen autumn/winter couture show kicked off with an electrifying performance by a living statue shooting what looked like lightening bolts into the audience. It was a memorable way of introducing the avant garde designer’s theme, which was voltage.
White trapezoid silhouettes with all-over spiky appliques perfectly evoked the high-energy fuzz of a voltage current.
In black, several dresses sported fine, bendy strips which pointed upward, like human hair that’s exposed to static electricity.
The theme of sea creatures is recurrent in Van Herpen’s artistic vocabulary — seen explored in one column dress that was reminiscent of the energy-rich phosphorescence of deep-sea Medusas.
This show — featuring some of the most imaginative clothes the Dutch wunderkind has produced — will set her in good stead for her debut ready-to-wear show in March.
The stars came out in force to see the new Dior collection. Celebrities in the audience included Jessica Alba, Sigourney Weaver and Laetitia Casta.
The catwalk was surrounded by box hedges and hazelnut trees, to set off the romantic designs.
The flower theme was most obviously expressed in floral embroideries. And in this respect, the floral reference was less subtle than last season, which played more with the inverted flower silhouette of Dior’s famous 1947 “New Look.”
Newcomer on the block Alexis Mabille has just obtained the haute couture label. His collection was baby sweet and ultra feminine. Truly a collection made for a princess.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
latest le mag news
Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
Maverick fashion designer John Varvatos: ‘Is rock dead?‘
Rachel Platten takes ‘Wildfire’ on tour
Jonathan Yeo adopts actress Cara Delevingne for new exhibition
Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video