With the Algerian hostage crisis over, harrowing stories from the survivors are beginning to emerge.
Reliving the narrow escape from death was clearly overwhelming for Romanian survivor, Liviu Floria who had to walk 30km through the desert to safety. He speaks of his traumatic experience.
“I entered my office with my colleague.
We closed the door, hid under the desk and, we waited to see what was going to happen in total darkness. All around us we could hear guns firing and people yelling. Everything happened in just three minutes. The difference between life and death was three minutes.”
Filipino survivor Joseph Balmaceda was used as a human shield by the hostage takers. He did not escape unscathed having sustained countless shrapnel wounds across his body.
“The Terrorist triggered the C-4 explosive inside our vehicle. I was trying to escape and I saw the government forces from afar motioning me to drop to the ground and roll towards them. It’s like having a second chance at life, because even as I was crawling on the ground the terrorists were still shooting at me”.
For those who were not so lucky, the picture is not so clear as final figures of the dead have yet to be released.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 3Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 4Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 5Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 3Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 17HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 18NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:10 CET Top Malian army officer survives assassination attempt in capital…
- 00:08 CET Spielberg – 70 years after Holocaust Jews still face anti-Semitism
- 23:25 CET Peru’s Congress repeals labour reform in blow to weakened Humala
- 22:40 CET Eight French, two Greeks killed in NATO plane crash in Spain
- 22:39 CET Ex-CIA officer convicted in New York Times leak case
- 22:19 CET Corruption protest in Kenya’s Maasai Mara region turns deadly
- 21:15 CET Quartet envoys urge action on humanitarian situation in Gaza
- 20:25 CET Greek leftist Tsipras sworn in as PM to fight bailout terms