A small number of gay rights activists have staged a kissing protest outside the Russian parliament in opposition to a Kremlin bill, which will make “homosexual propaganda” illegal.
A gay kiss in public could result in a 12,000 euro fine, if the Duma votes in favour of legislation.
Elena Kostyuchenko is a gay rights campaigner and journalist with the newspaper Novaya Gazeta:
“The law absolutely does not define what ‘gay propaganda’ is, and the reasons are understandable because there is no gay propaganda.”
What began as public kissing ended in public violence as the protesters came under attack from homophobic Muscovites:
“Moscow is not Sodom. We are here to support normal people, healthy people that want to create stable, Orthodox families and raise their children in the spirit of Orthodox traditions, brotherhood and popular unity,” fumed one anti-gay man.
The government and the Orthodox Church see the bill as part of a move to promote traditional Russian values.
Gay activists were also attacked in the city of Voronezh on Sunday.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
King of Spain dissolves parliament
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq