Israelis are voting in a general election that looks set to take the country further to the right.
There has been little in the way of election fever. Political leaders cast their ballots early. The outcome is widely expected to bring the incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his Likud party a third term in office, but with a reduced majority.
No party has ever secured an absolute majority in an Israeli election and Likud will need the support of conservative allies.
Netanyahu has thrown his hat in with the ultra-nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, led by the controversial former foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman.
One of those expected to do well is the Jewish Home Party led by Naftali Bennett. His pro-settlement group has struck a chord among voters and has eroded support for Netanyahu.
Unlike previous elections and with little prospect of a return to peace talks, the campaign has not been dominated by the Palestinian issue. Instead it has focused on economic and social concerns.
Netanyahu has said no Jewish settlements in the West Bank will be removed if he wins another term.
He has also campaigned on the need for stronger national security in view of the turbulence in the Middle East since Arab uprisings swept the region.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 2Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 3Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 4“Jihadi John” identified as Kuwaiti-born Briton Mohammed Emwazi
- 5Russia’s Gazprom excludes rebel-held areas from Ukraine’s gas contract
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 05:33 CET Lesotho prepares for early vote in bid to ease political crisis
- 05:30 CET Hong Kong woman jailed for six years for abusing Indonesian maid
- 04:32 CET Missing Canadian teens believed headed to fight with Islamic…
- 03:53 CET Quebec judge denies woman hearing until hijab removed – CBC
- 02:54 CET Libya needs international maritime force to help stop illicit oil…
- 02:12 CET Argentine judge says no evidence government tried to derail…
- 01:27 CET ‘Jihadi John’ from Islamic State beheading videos unmasked as…
- 22:54 CET Saudi ambassador moves to Aden from Houthi-controlled capital -…