Israelis are voting in a general election that looks set to take the country further to the right.
There has been little in the way of election fever. Political leaders cast their ballots early. The outcome is widely expected to bring the incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his Likud party a third term in office, but with a reduced majority.
No party has ever secured an absolute majority in an Israeli election and Likud will need the support of conservative allies.
Netanyahu has thrown his hat in with the ultra-nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, led by the controversial former foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman.
One of those expected to do well is the Jewish Home Party led by Naftali Bennett. His pro-settlement group has struck a chord among voters and has eroded support for Netanyahu.
Unlike previous elections and with little prospect of a return to peace talks, the campaign has not been dominated by the Palestinian issue. Instead it has focused on economic and social concerns.
Netanyahu has said no Jewish settlements in the West Bank will be removed if he wins another term.
He has also campaigned on the need for stronger national security in view of the turbulence in the Middle East since Arab uprisings swept the region.
Latest world news
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Voting underway across the UK on ‘Super Thursday’
Dilma’s impeachment moves one step closer as commission backs removal
Panama babies born with microcephaly linked to Zika
euronews visits frontline village in Syria
Wires > News
- 14:11 CET Israel says found second Hamas tunnel from Gaza since 2014 war
- 14:03 CET Burundi police say 450 people killed in political violence in past…
- 13:52 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo but fighting goes on elsewhere in Syria
- 13:39 CET Pakistan girl, 16, ‘burnt alive’ for helping couple to elope
- 13:37 CET Saudi security operation against Islamic State fighters in Mecca -…
- 13:20 CET People die, shooting rages at night, amid spluttering…
- 12:22 CET Israeli general assailed for Nazi comparison on Holocaust memorial…
- 12:11 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump