22/01/13 12:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
For America’s re-elected president, the traditional inaugural ball was a brief moment of celebration before the tough work resumes.
As in 2009, the song the presidential couple chose to dance to was “Let’s Stay Together”.
As four years ago, Obama used the occasion to appeal for unity. But with the election behind him, there are signs of a renewed confidence to take on the Republicans.
In a speech before hundreds of thousands of supporters, the president highlighted immigration reform, gay rights, gun violence and climate change – all issues that are guaranteed to bring fierce clashes in Congress and beyond.
He confirmed that improving the plight of America’s poor will be a second-term priority.
“For we, the people, understand that our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it. We believe that America’s prosperity must rest upon the broad shoulders of a rising middle class,” he said.
The Republican opposition has shown signs of wanting to work together. But it is unlikely to lie down in the battles to come on tax and spending.
Obama’s first term saw his agenda consistently blocked. Many will be watching to see whether he will now seek compromise or confrontation.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 5Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Britain’s parliament debates Cameron’s call to air war in Syria
Kremlin gets tough on Turkish food imports
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Pope disgusted by ‘barbarous attacks’ in God’s name
Southern Australia burns as fatal bushfires destroy wildlife and livestock
Wires > News
- 13:13 CET Russia buries a fallen soldier, but won’t confirm where he fell
- 12:51 CET Turkey’s Erdogan challenges accusers to prove it buys energy from…
- 12:49 CET China court upholds conviction against journalist but cuts two…
- 12:32 CET Beijing’s super commutes reflect a city bulging at the seams
- 12:22 CET Israeli forces kill two Palestinian assailants; Netanyahu strategy…
- 12:05 CET Obama on Thanksgiving urges generosity to Syrian refugees
- 12:02 CET Putin says Turkey deliberately dragging relations to a standstill
- 11:59 CET China’s Xi says to shake up military structure in reform push