The leaders of France and Germany celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Elysee ‘friendship’ Treaty with a joint ceremony in Berlin.
The accord signed between General De Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer was another step along the path of European integration.
Both countries had already deepened their economic ties a decade earlier when they joined the European Coal and Steel Community, a precursor to the European Union.
French President François Hollande said the Franco-German alliance still plays a crucial role in Europe.
He told the German parliament, the Bundestag, tha “it is important to show Europe how to have confidence in its future.”
“We will have to take these decisions in the next few months in order to enhance the European economy and the currency union,” said Hollande.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said both governments would Berlin and Paris would push on in a drive for greater coordination of EU economic policy.
“We have a fiscal pact, yes we have a pact for growth, but we’re not at the end of the road. That’s why i’m very grateful that we have agreed to make proposals for closer economic collaboration in May,” she said, without giving further details.
Yet the two countries remain at odds over how to tackle the eurozone crisis. France favours more public spending over Germany’s austerity approach.
That difference in policy caused tensions during Hollande’s election campaign: Merkel openly backed his predecessor and rival, Nicolas Sarkozy.
- 1Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 2Captagon: the so-called ‘super’ stimulant ‘used in Syria’
- 3Belgian security officials hit back at French criticism
- 4EU backs French demands for better surveillance after Paris attacks
- 5ISIL threat is ‘a wake-up call for Europe’, says leading defence expert
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
Pope Francis arrives in Uganda
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
Tour operator threatens to jump from Colosseum in Rome
Wires > European Affairs
- 23:11 CET Sweden suspends flights to northern Iraq over security concerns
- 22:33 CET Insight – Voice of Paris attacks; Did he have bigger role?
- 21:53 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’
- 21:51 CET Pope holds private meeting with president of warring South Sudan
- 21:08 CET U.N. chief condemns deadly attack in disputed Abyei region
- 21:06 CET Saudis failed to investigate air strikes on Yemen civilians -…
- 19:58 CET Lebanon PM urges presidential vote after new push to find candidate
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…