If you are worried about finding a job or your family is struggling to pay the bills, the European Year of Citizens might have passed you by.
The European Commission says this new intitiative will remind EU citizens of their rights. It runs until the end of 2013.
Ireland’s Europe Minister Lucinda Creighton said: “it’s about engaging citizens on all sorts of topics, from questions regarding free movement and different rights to their expactations from the European Union.”
For the left-wing NGO network ‘Solidar’, there is a real lack of knowledge amongst Europeans about what the EU does.
“We have the Charter of Fundamental Rights that only a few people know. There are many rights in the area of anti-discrimination that go unnoticed,” said Solidar’s Conny Reuter.
“The first problem we need to face is that many citizens are not aware of the rights they have and how they can claim them.”
But with unemployment in the EU above ten percent, some Europeans might say there are more pressing matters than a debate on EU citizenship and identity.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place