If you are worried about finding a job or your family is struggling to pay the bills, the European Year of Citizens might have passed you by.
The European Commission says this new intitiative will remind EU citizens of their rights. It runs until the end of 2013.
Ireland’s Europe Minister Lucinda Creighton said: “it’s about engaging citizens on all sorts of topics, from questions regarding free movement and different rights to their expactations from the European Union.”
For the left-wing NGO network ‘Solidar’, there is a real lack of knowledge amongst Europeans about what the EU does.
“We have the Charter of Fundamental Rights that only a few people know. There are many rights in the area of anti-discrimination that go unnoticed,” said Solidar’s Conny Reuter.
“The first problem we need to face is that many citizens are not aware of the rights they have and how they can claim them.”
But with unemployment in the EU above ten percent, some Europeans might say there are more pressing matters than a debate on EU citizenship and identity.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech