If you are worried about finding a job or your family is struggling to pay the bills, the European Year of Citizens might have passed you by.
The European Commission says this new intitiative will remind EU citizens of their rights. It runs until the end of 2013.
Ireland’s Europe Minister Lucinda Creighton said: “it’s about engaging citizens on all sorts of topics, from questions regarding free movement and different rights to their expactations from the European Union.”
For the left-wing NGO network ‘Solidar’, there is a real lack of knowledge amongst Europeans about what the EU does.
“We have the Charter of Fundamental Rights that only a few people know. There are many rights in the area of anti-discrimination that go unnoticed,” said Solidar’s Conny Reuter.
“The first problem we need to face is that many citizens are not aware of the rights they have and how they can claim them.”
But with unemployment in the EU above ten percent, some Europeans might say there are more pressing matters than a debate on EU citizenship and identity.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news