If you are worried about finding a job or your family is struggling to pay the bills, the European Year of Citizens might have passed you by.
The European Commission says this new intitiative will remind EU citizens of their rights. It runs until the end of 2013.
Ireland’s Europe Minister Lucinda Creighton said: “it’s about engaging citizens on all sorts of topics, from questions regarding free movement and different rights to their expactations from the European Union.”
For the left-wing NGO network ‘Solidar’, there is a real lack of knowledge amongst Europeans about what the EU does.
“We have the Charter of Fundamental Rights that only a few people know. There are many rights in the area of anti-discrimination that go unnoticed,” said Solidar’s Conny Reuter.
“The first problem we need to face is that many citizens are not aware of the rights they have and how they can claim them.”
But with unemployment in the EU above ten percent, some Europeans might say there are more pressing matters than a debate on EU citizenship and identity.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Austria tops the migrant league
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country