Algeria’s Prime Minister says last week’s attack on the In Amenas gas plant, in which at least 38 mostly foreign workers died, was coordinated by a Canadian.
Abdelmalek Sellal said the Canadian citizen, whom he named only as Chedad, was among the 29 gunmen killed. Canada says it is seeking more information.
“Most of the workers were freed,” Sellal told reporters, “except five foreigners who are still missing, we do not know where they are. Maybe they are in hiding, or they fled, or they were killed, God have mercy on them.”
Americans, Japanese, Filipinos and Britons are among those hostages confirmed dead. Others are still unaccounted for. Nearly 700 Algerians and 100 other foreigners survived.
In a video distributed on the internet, militant leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar claimed to have carried out the assault on behalf of Al Qaeda. He also demanded an end to French intervention in Mali.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 06:00 CET Two Myanmar men go on trial for murder of British tourists
- 04:27 CET Alaska plane crashed amid ‘marginal’ visual conditions, killing…
- 04:22 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 04:09 CET Ghana’s ruling party reclaims parliamentary seat in by-election
- 02:35 CET In Myanmar, ethnic loyalties could crimp Suu Kyi’s party
- 01:14 CET Ex-dictator found mentally unfit for new Guatemala genocide trial
- 00:43 CET Serbia government agrees to send PM to July 11 Srebrenica…
- 21:26 CET Two suicide bombers kill around 30 in northern Nigeria