The venue for the start to the day’s discussions, speeches and celebrations of the Franco-German relationship was the French Embassy in Berlin.
Chancellor Angela Merkel and President Francois Hollande paused from politics to explore Franco-German relations in the cultural world.
The two leaders heard how creative talents were working across the borders. The German filmmaker Win Wenders was at the meeting and said afterwards: “I became a filmmaker in the middle of this French German marriage. But today the film industry is not so easy for young people, the marriage is not as vibrant, there is a lack of curiosity between each other. I think we could put some energy back into this relationship.”
One daily newspaper, the Berliner Zeitung revealed 85 percent of Germans and 72 percent of French people maintained a positive image of their neighbours. Students who euronews talked to were equally positive.
“Doing a lot of student exchanges, and getting to know young Germans better, I think is really important to have German friends,” said one.
Another added: “I notice that especially at school they promote the student-exchanges with France. We also have French lessons at a very early stage. And I think, when you watch TV you get an idea that Franco-German relations are something very special in Europe.”
However, some though would argue it is a relationship which is outdated. Euronews correspondent Gianni Magi in Berlin said: “These ceremonies try to stir up emotions in a Franco-German relationship which has cooled in recent years. Today’s world is different from that of the era of De Gaulle and Adenauer, but the relationship between France and Germany continues to be critical to the realisation of the European project.”
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Riot police raid Kyiv’s central square
- 4What’s God got to do with it?, asks Nobel Prize in Physics winner
- 5Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 20:24 CET White House: deadline for Afghan security pact could slip into…
- 20:08 CET U.S., Britain suspend aid to north Syria after Islamists seize…
- 19:51 CET Uruguay’s move to legalise marijuana breaks treaty-INCB
- 19:48 CET Uproar in Egyptian court halts Islamist leaders’ trial
- 19:25 CET Portugal considers asylum for 74 Syrians with fake passports
- 19:11 CET Daughter of Libya’s former spy chief calls for him to be tried in…
- 18:49 CET ‘War game’ highlights risks of Britain’s EU exit
- 18:28 CET Opposition mounts to Israel’s Arab Bedouin transfer plan