21/01/13 03:47 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The US capital has been preparing for public events to commemorate the inauguration of President Barack Obama for a second term.
Hundreds of thousands of visitors are expected in the capital.
Ahead of the public oath the President makes on Monday, he was officially sworn in on Sunday in a small ceremony at the White House.
During his inauguration speech, Obama will lay out his plans for the next four years.
But for the moment, many Americans are focused on celebrating the historic day itself.
Business has been booming in DC shops and stalls, packed with Obama memorabilia.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug: report
- 13:35 CET With the most slaves globally, India improves response to the…
- 13:33 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 13:22 CET Philippine president-elect Duterte names cabinet members
- 13:06 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi to lead new effort on restive Rakhine State
- 12:36 CET Turkey officially designates Gulen religious group as terrorists
- 12:33 CET Nigerian sex trafficking victim – ‘Girls do not understand the…
- 12:32 CET Migrant crisis fuels sex trafficking of Nigerian girls to Europe